Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

Posted Aug 14, 2022 07:58 PM

Are retries in and out something to be worried about? I have one IAP-305 setup and I see it on several of my devices. 

The AP is in my garage. I must say I am shocked at how poorly the signal comes through to my living room. My Fios G3100 pulls this off fine. 

• 2.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2022 09:00 PM
    That graph itself does not show enough resolution to make a good determination.  Wifi is a shared medium, so there will definitely be retries.  As long as retries stay under say 20% they are fine for most standard applications.  For voice and video you definitely want this lower, but this does not break out how it is affecting specific applications.  I would be more worried about signal strength and client health.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

Posted Aug 14, 2022 09:30 PM
    I have seen the speed of the top device (an iPhone) drop all the way down to 1 and then the phone buffers. It is currently streaming video so I can monitor. Should an IAP-305 be able to supply a decent signal through walls? I am wondering if the main modem/router in the garage could be causing interference. Everything is on 36E now, some devices were on 11 earlier. This set up in my home lab. This sounds like what people complain of at work. Low speed or speeds varying. 

• 4.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2022 09:37 PM
    How many walls and what those walls are made of will determine the quality of the signal. Ideally there would be none, but 1 wall is typically fine.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

Posted Aug 14, 2022 09:41 PM
    Are these charts telling me that I am experiencing interference? There is one wall between the AP and myself. On one side of the wall is the garage on the other side of the wall is the kitchen and then i'm sitting in the living room. 

• 6.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 14, 2022 09:46 PM
    That just means there is the presence of neighboring access points.  You should be able to connect to your own access points within your own structure and overcome ambient (observed) devices on the same channel.  What does your signal strength look like on your mobile device?

• 7.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

Posted Aug 14, 2022 09:58 PM
    I'm seeing something. When my mobile phone is on channel 11 it is slow. When it goes back to the 36E it runs a lot faster.

• 8.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2022 02:11 AM
    Channel 11 is 2.4ghz and has much more interference.  Many people do not use 2.4ghz today for that reason.

• 9.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

Posted Aug 15, 2022 02:57 AM
    What is the best approach to fix this? My band steering mode is currently set to prefer 5Ghz.

Correct me if I'm wrong. 5Ghz is faster but has a smaller radius and has more interference than 2.4Ghz I thought?

• 10.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2022 03:02 AM
    Create an SSID that is 5ghz (802.11a) only and use that.

To many less range is an acceptable tradeoff for much less interference.

• 11.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

Posted Aug 15, 2022 04:00 AM

I changed the band steering mode to force 5Ghz and it is much faster. I guess if I went that route across the board I would have to get a wireless survey done and may need more access points. Also, some older devices may not have 5Ghz. 

What options can I check to make sure my devices are smoothly transitioning between APs? I need to ensure that is working since the radius of each AP is smaller now.

• 12.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2022 04:04 AM
    A constant ping to/from a wired device should give you an idea of your roaming performance.

• 13.  RE: Are retries in and out something to be worried about?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2022 09:25 AM
    Radius on 5GHz is smaller, given the same maximum power; interference is much lower (so better) on 5GHz; as well you can run 40MHz channels (in some cases even 80MHz) which is double from 20MHz in 2.4MHz. In general you probably should try to avoid using the 2.4GHz band for any applications that need performance.

Many clients, unless you configure differently, will take the strongest signal. For that reason it is best-practice to configure the power for the 2.4GHz at least 6dB lower than the 5GHz radio, so the client is more likely to pick the 5GHz channel (and reducing the radius for 2.4GHz as well). Fully disabling the 2.4GHz radio for the SSID will probably work even better. If your network is designed for coverage (instead of for capacity) on 2.4GHz, you probably will need more APs for proper 5GHZ coverage.

The correct design also depends on the environment, as a residential deployment is different from an office, and different from a stadium or Airport. It's advised to bring in the knowledge to do a proper AP/RF planning/survey.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.