Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 2930F - DAC cables not working

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Aruba 2930F - DAC cables not working

Posted Jul 17, 2024 05:42 AM

Dear experts,

I do have 2x 2930F JL254A and 1x 2930F JL262A switch. The last mentioned was ordered just a few weeks ago while the two JL254A are in operation for three years already.

All three switches are running the same and latest firmware version V 16.11.0019.

The two JL254A are connected via a 10G DAC cable as per attached photo "1".
    This works without any issues.

Together with the JL262A, I ordered additional DAC cables. Photo of type label see attached photo "2".

I wanted to build a VSF switch stack but the new DAC cables do not seem to work. 

Side question: can I build a VSF (ring topology) between JL254A and JL262A? Firmware version is identical. Or is VSF only possible between excatly identical models?

I receive errors such as „self test failure err c1990000" and "self test failure err 004b0001" no matter, which two switches I test the cables with.

Can anyone help me? What is the reason for these error messages?

Thank you very much in advance,

Enrico

Aruba DAC Cable #1
    Aruba DAC Cable #2

• 2.  RE: Aruba 2930F - DAC cables not working

Posted Jul 17, 2024 09:39 AM

The JL262A has SFP uplink ports (100M/1G), where your DAC cable is an SFP+ 10G model, so that's incompatible and where your issue probably is.

In the Aruba Transceiver Guide you can find which switch models are compatible with what optics/modules. What surprises me is that when ordering the JL262A and the SPF+ DAC together, nobody noticed that these are incompatible. I'd go back to your seller.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 2930F - DAC cables not working

Posted Jul 17, 2024 10:17 AM

Hello Herman,

thank you very much for your informative reply!

Issue / mistake in that specific case would be on my side as the JL 262A switch and the 10+ DAC cables have been ordered with different suppliers.

Do you know if I can keep existing SPF+ DAC cable for connection between the two JL254A or will the DAC cable also need to be the exact same type when setting up VSF for all three switches?

• 4.  RE: Aruba 2930F - DAC cables not working

Posted Jul 18, 2024 04:26 AM

All links in a VSF need to be of the same speed. I'm quite sure the type can be different as long as the speed is the same. Mixing SPF (1G) and SFP+ (10G) will not be supported, if that's what you ask.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.