View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 6000 Default Gateway

This thread has been viewed 44 times
  • 1.  Aruba 6000 Default Gateway

Posted Jun 23, 2022 07:41 PM
    Good afternoon.

I'm really scratching my head on this one. I'm trying to set up a default gateway on my new Aruba 6000 switch. Of course the old Aruba-OS commands don't work, but I can't find any documentation that works. In some videos I watch they use the # int mgmt command, but that returns 'invalid input' for me (I assume because this switch does not have oobm management)? It currently uses a gateway on VLAN1 which it got through DHCP. I want it to use a gateway on VLAN 22 instead (this will be the management VLAN). How can I achieve this?

btw: I tried 'ip route 0.0.0.0/0 [vlan22 gateway] but this did not change the default gateway field in the sh ip interface view.

• 2.  RE: Aruba 6000 Default Gateway

Posted Jun 24, 2022 06:52 AM

If I understood your requirement correctly then you need to do the following
    1- remove the "ip dhcp" from VLAN1
    2- make sure vlan 22 is created
    3- create interface vlan 22 and assign it a static IP address from the vlan 22 subnet.
    4- configure your desired default gateway
    5- make sure your uplink is a trunk that has vlan 22 allowed

if you feel this is what you already have, then maybe sharing the config file would be needed.

Hope that helps :)

• 3.  RE: Aruba 6000 Default Gateway

Posted Jun 24, 2022 11:17 AM
    Thanks for your response!
    1. How do I do this? I tried "no ip dhcp" in the ​configure terminal and vlan 1 specific contexts. I got invalid input posts on both.
    2-3. These are completed.
    4. This is what I struggle to do.
    5. This is all set.

Would you be able to share the commands for steps 1 and 4? As described above, "interface mgmt" does not work for me, but pretty much every documentation/tutorial I see starts with that command in the configure terminal context.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 6000 Default Gateway
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 26, 2022 03:54 AM

A quick note, the switch you have does not have a physical 'out-of-band mgmt' port which is referred to as 'interface mgmt' in the configuration.
    So don't change anything under that interface, its not gonna be of use for you.

And just for your info, to change the ip addressing mode for that oobm interface, you can use 'ip address static X.X.X.X/Mask' (but again, not helpful in your case)

Now back to the original issue, make sure your have the following commands, (if there are no ip address or VRF conflicts, you should not face an issue):

user admin group administrators password plaintext 'your-password'

ssh server vrf default

vlan 22
    name mgmt

interface vlan 22
    ip address A.B.C.D/Mask
    no shutdown

#set up your gateway
    ip route 0.0.0.0/0 A.B.C.E

interface 1/1/24
    no shutdown
    vlan trunk allowed all

• 5.  RE: Aruba 6000 Default Gateway

Posted Jun 27, 2022 11:07 AM
    I realize my confusion now. In the oobm context (which doesn't apply to me as you pointed out) the syntax includes a default-gateway like in the older Aruba OS switch series. For any old VLan the syntax specifies a default route. Same thing but different language. I think that's what got me spinning. Many thanks Ibrahim!

• 6.  RE: Aruba 6000 Default Gateway

Posted Jun 27, 2022 06:36 PM
    You're Welcome, :)