Comware

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 6000 SNMP Issues

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Aruba 6000 SNMP Issues

Posted Feb 02, 2023 10:15 AM
    Hi, we have just purchased an Aruba 6000 48G switch and it's currently refusing SNMPv2 requests on port 161. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any other settings I needed to add in to allow it to respond please? I've added a custom community and I've tried to query it with Zabbix and a UDP port tester on 161 but it's refusing the connection. I've ruled out firewalls being the issue as I've run a trace and can see the traffic getting to the switch, and, routing is correct as pings can be returned. I've also tried setting up SNMPv3 but had the same issues. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks,

James

• 2.  RE: Aruba 6000 SNMP Issues

Posted Feb 25, 2023 10:41 AM

Hey James,

Does the aruba have multiple IPs?  I don't have much experience with zabbix and the experience I had wasn't pleasant.  I found it was easier to spin up a VM, install/configure windows, install PRTG, and run off the 100 free sensors you get with PRTG than it was to use zabbix.  Anyway, this is what I had to do on my arubas to get them to do SNMP, given they arn't the 6000 series, they are the 2930's.

Step 1: Enabling SNMPv3.
    Note: Enabling SNMPv3 will create a default SNMPv3 user called "initial" as shown below. You can use the default "initial" account or  create one to add the switch to Monitoring solution.
    HP-2530-24G-PoEP(config)# snmpv3 enable
    SNMPv3 Initialization process.
    Creating user 'initial'
    Authentication Protocol: MD5
    Enter authentication password: ******
    Privacy protocol is DES
    Enter privacy password: ******
    User 'initial' is created
    Would you like to create a user that uses SHA? no   //Say no, Manually create a user later User creation is done. SNMPv3 is now functional.
    Would you like to restrict SNMPv1 and SNMPv2c messages to have read onlyaccess (you can set this later by the command 'snmp restrict-access'): no //Say no, in theory SNMPv1 and v2 should be read only anyway.  We can enable this later through a 'snmpv3 restricted-access' or turn it off through 'no snmpv3 restricted-access' I had a switches web interface go unresponsive for a few min when I turned this on
    Step 2: Creating SNMPv3 user.
    HP-2530-24G-PoEP(config)# snmpv3 user <username> auth sha <auth password> priv aes <privacy password>
    Ex: # snmpv3 user monit_admin auth sha aruba123 priv aes aruba123
    Step 3: Adding the user to managerpriv group(mandatory).
    HP-2530-24G-PoEP(config)# snmpv3 group managerpriv user <username> sec-model ver3
    Ex: HP-2530-24G-PoEP(config)# snmpv3 group managerpriv user monit_admin sec-model ver3
    Step 4: removing the initial user
    As a security precaution it's probably a wise idea to remove the 'initial' user that was created
    HP-IDF2-6(config)# show snmpv3 user

Status and Counters - SNMP v3 Global Configuration Information

User Name                        Auth. Protocol   Privacy Protocol
      -------------------------------- ---------------- ----------------
      IDF2-6                           SHA              CFB AES-128
      initial                          MD5              CBC DES

HP-IDF2-6(config)# no snmpv3 user initial
    HP-IDF2-6(config)# show snmpv3 user

Status and Counters - SNMP v3 Global Configuration Information

User Name                        Auth. Protocol   Privacy Protocol
      -------------------------------- ---------------- ----------------
      IDF2-6                           SHA              CFB AES-128

HP-IDF2-6(config)#

Lastly you may want to disable SNMP V1/v2.  This also seems to be command line
    HP-IDF2-6(config)# no snmp-server enable

Hopefully this is of some use to you!