Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 6300M Debug

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 05, 2023 06:34 PM

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know how to check all IP traffic going across the Aruba 6300M switch? Can't seen to locate debug ip packet or similar (that is the equivalent of Cisco debug ip packet).  thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 05, 2023 07:25 PM

you can use tcpdump from the diagnostic tools.

diagnotics

diag utilities tcpdump ?

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.10/HTML/cli_6300-6400/Content/Chp_Mirror/Mirror_cmds/diag-uti-tcpd.htm?Highlight=tcpdump

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 06, 2023 06:22 AM

You can you one the below options:

• tcpdump to capture control place traffic.
    • configure a span session using CPU as destination to capture Dataplane traffic, then copy the tshark pcap file to a remote sftp/tftp

Both Above Options  are to be used with caution, typically you need to do it with verry narrowed filters.

• Use regular SPAN
    • User ERSPAN, where destination is an the IP address of the monitoring tool (Exp : IP of the PC where Wireshark is running).

Check Page 61 in the below document :

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AOS-CX/10.08/PDF/monitoring_6300-6400.pdf

Hope this helps.

Please accept as solution if my response helped.

• 4.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2023 11:25 AM

Hi,

The 'debug ip packet' on a Cisco switch will never give you the "all IP traffic going across the switch" as the switched traffic stays inside the ASIC and reaches the Supervisor only when it requires software processing, like packets with IP options, broadcast packets etc. Same for the Aruba - tcpdump will allow you to intercept only the traffic that the CPU of the switch sees, but as with Cisco example it is far from the 'all IP traffic' as you can guess.

What you can do is to configure a traffic mirroring, but even then I am not sure how you will resolve the oversubscription when you start mirroring let's say 5 x 10G interfaces to one 10G monitor interface... 

Whatever you are trying to do I believe there is a better way than capturing all traffic.

Ivan Bondar

• 5.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 06, 2023 01:24 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Was looking for the debug all traffic option and not a span as it is a remote site. @Ariyap, will try that and see if that will provide any info.

• 6.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 07, 2023 07:40 AM

Pretty sure there is an option to send a span port output to a remote switch port or even wireshark if needed.  I may be wrong but I'm  almost positive.

• 7.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 08, 2023 01:58 AM

Ok, on a little related issue.

Does any one why there would be a high number of lldp neighbors entries get deleted and aged-out (over 5K in 25 hours).  Not sure how to go about troubleshooting. Enabled 'debug lldp all" and not see anything or how to check.

thanks!

• 8.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 08, 2023 02:18 AM

Also,  does anyone know why there are alot of LOG_ERR in the show debug buffer even though there is no debug happening. The logs have "LOG_ERR" in them. Are there error seen in the switch (see example of a log entry below:

|ops-switchd|LOG_ERR|CDTR|1

• 9.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2023 03:04 AM

That is expected on this platform - even if a module doesn't have a debugging enabled it still reports 'error' level debugging messages. Quite annoying, but it is what it is for the moment. Just keep in mind those 'errors' in 99% mean nothing to an administrator, so if no issues with your network, you can safely ignore them and focus on the debug that you explicitly enable for respective modules (processes).

Ivan Bondar

• 10.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 08, 2023 01:11 PM

Thanks Ivan for the quick repsonse.

Yes, we are having to reboot the switch every 40-44 hours or so and just noticed the show lldp neigh is showing a lot of entries deleted and aged-out, see below:

switch#   show lldp neigh

LLDP Neighbor Information
    =========================

Total Neighbor Entries          : 12
    Total Neighbor Entries Deleted  : 2100
    Total Neighbor Entries Dropped  : 0
    Total Neighbor Entries Aged-Out : 2100

just wondering if those errors are related to that and why it is happening.  thanks!

• 11.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

Posted Mar 08, 2023 01:42 PM

Ok, what we noticed is that this switch has its mgmt port connected to another switch (switch02)'s mgmt interface and another SFP uplink connected to the same port (i.e., 1/1/47 - sfp 10G transceiver on that switch 1/1/47 too). Would that cause any issues to have two ports (one mgmt and one regular sfp 10G port) connected to it?

• 12.  RE: Aruba 6300M Debug

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 08, 2023 03:33 PM

why would anyone connect the oobm port of two switches together?

note that the oobm port is in a mgmt VRF.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.