Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba 8325 - 1G transceivers - speed 1000-full

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Aruba 8325 - 1G transceivers - speed 1000-full

Posted Nov 24, 2022 09:23 AM
    Hello everyone,

I have a short question regarding the "Aruba JL635A Aruba 8325-48Y8C 48p 25G 8p 100G Switch" and 1G transceivers (in this case, J4858D; 1000Base-SX).

I am aware that in order to use J4858D transceivers with the 8325, one has to configure the respective interfaces manually to "speed 1000-full", like this:

interface 1/1/5
    no shutdown
    speed 1000-full
    exit

The same "1000-full" setting must also be made on the device on the other side of the link to get the connection to work.

So far, so good ...

But what if the opposite device does not allow that fixed "1000-full" configuration on its ports?
    In my case, it's a CISCO 5508 WLAN controller (Software train 8.5) that doesn't allow that setting, so we cannot get the connection to the 8325 working.

Did anyone else maybe encounter the same problem?
    Maybe someone knows a workaround (aside from installing an intermediate switch)?

Appreciate any suggestions ...
    Thanks,
    Michael

• 2.  RE: Aruba 8325 - 1G transceivers - speed 1000-full

Posted Nov 25, 2022 02:22 AM
    I've faced this issue. I believe it was the duplex and not the speed part of the command that makes this work. Basically auto negotiate isn't compatible with other operating systems including HPE. Is there a way to affect just the duplex on the cisco?

It is possible it can't change, like this old post suggests:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/change-wlc-5508-port-speed/m-p/2123876/highlight/true

On procurve switches I only change the config on that end. No change on the CX. It would be great if I could resolve this on CX config.

Ian

• 3.  RE: Aruba 8325 - 1G transceivers - speed 1000-full

Posted Nov 25, 2022 04:34 AM
    Hey ... unfortunately, there is no user-visible configuration option, related to this, on the CISCO WLC.

The CISCO community post deals with 1G copper SFP settings, and them being unable to provide 100 Mbit connectivity.
    Different issue, I guess.

Regardless, I am not very hopeful regarding the WLC. Colleague of mine is trying to get in touch with CISCO TAC.

All the best,
    Michael