Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba ap 325 downlink

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Aruba ap 325 downlink

Posted Feb 15, 2024 10:30 AM

Hi all, 

Please note that i'm not to experienced in network systmes and terminology.

I have an AP-325 which was converted to the IAP version using this guide.

Internet is connected to port eth0 over POE+ while i would like to get a downlink from eth1. I have set up a wired profile but it seems that i'm not getting internet. Terminal reports 'ETH1 link down'.

• 2.  RE: Aruba ap 325 downlink

Posted Feb 15, 2024 05:23 PM

Some of my initial thoughts:

Do you have a switch or end user device connected to ETH1?

Depending on the device and the vlan tag you may need to use an access mode port.

Also the IP assignment would likely be "network assigned" instead of virtual controller managed. 

You may also look to see what "mode" ETH1 is configured for in the AP specific settings under "Uplink"

------------------------------
    If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Aruba ap 325 downlink

Posted Feb 16, 2024 03:02 AM

Hi, Thank you for your help. These are the current configured settings. 

Device is connected to Eth1, it's a chromecast ultra

Changed to Access mode

IP is network assigned

Can't seem to find the mode you are talking about.

• 4.  RE: Aruba ap 325 downlink

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2024 03:43 AM

In step 3 you may need to change the port to trusted if you want unauthenticated access to VLAN1 (same VLAN as your AP).

It can be that the AP has switched off the second ethernet port because there is not enough power, for example if only PoE is negotiated for whatever reason. Unfortunately the AP325 seems not to support IPM which would allow you to select which features are turned of if the power is limited.

Have you tried to connect a laptop or so to the eth1 port to see if the port comes up with another device?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Aruba ap 325 downlink

Posted Feb 16, 2024 04:10 AM

Will check again. Can i see what is negotiated trough the webgui? If i'm not mistaken, terminal said 802.11at which should be poe+

isn't it possible to disable usb power delivery? Sparing up some energy.

• 6.  RE: Aruba ap 325 downlink

Posted Feb 16, 2024 10:57 AM

To check the PoE / Power Management:

You could run a "show tech support" or "show ap debug system-status from the GUI - then search for Power Status

Or SSH to the AP and run "show ap power-mgmt-statistics"

With the 325 (no IPM support) there is not a way to manually adjust power priorities. 

There are some poe-power optimization options but that would also disable your eth1. 

I agree the mode should be "Trust" in this case. 

If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 7.  RE: Aruba ap 325 downlink

Posted Feb 19, 2024 09:11 AM

Hi all, 

After updating the AP to 8.x, i was able to chose the port as a downlink port. After that, it all seemed to be working!

Thanks!

Kind regards