Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP-535 and POE on Cisco Switches

This thread has been viewed 27 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP-535 and POE on Cisco Switches

MVP
    Posted Jun 09, 2022 10:30 AM
    Not sure if this is a known issue, but wanted to share if it helps anyone else. We have Cisco 2960x and 9300 switches supporting our Aruba APs (multiple models). I noticed recently that all of our AP-535's were indicating an "2r" flag for power-restricted mode. I confirmed the switch ports were configured for auto with a max of 30W or 60W depending on switch model, but the APs were running on 27.5W. LLDP enabled and everything appropriately set, our AP-515's, 325s, 335, etc. are all fine. After review, I enabled IPM (intelligent power monitoring) in the AP system profile and that immediately moved the AP-535's up to 30W on the port and the "r" flag was removed in the ap database output. 

I'm not clear on why the 535s seemed to be using just below the expected power on the ports, but IPM seems to help. 

The AP system profile also supported AP-105, AP-135, AP-225, AP-325, AP-335, AP-515, and the AP-535 as we have a variety of APs in our environment. None of the APs seemed to be negatively impacted at the time and they did NOT reboot as they would when adjusting the power setting on the switch side. 

Hopefully this helps someone else in the same boat.

------------------------------
    Michael Haring
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP-535 and POE on Cisco Switches

Posted Aug 10, 2022 02:19 AM

Also worth mentioning for those of you using Cisco CDP and not LLDP.

Depending on the cisco switch, in order to provide more power to an AP, like the 535, the command "power-inline port 2-event" can be applied to the interface. This command provides 802.3at 30w power to a class 4 device and remains that way unless negotiated lower. 

Without the command, the default of 802.3af 15.4w power is supplied to any device connected not using CDP. The AP-535 will come up on the controller with 802.3af, but none of the radios will be broadcasting.