Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP-615 default IP

This thread has been viewed 28 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP-615 default IP

Posted 12 days ago

Hi folks,

Recently I was installing Aruba AP-615 and because at that time there wasn't DHCP server in that network, AP got its default IP, but if on other APs the default IP is some APIPA IP or 172.16.x.x, on this AP-615 the default IP was this: a9fec20b, and the short version was c20b.

I am wondering what is this?

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP-615 default IP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted 11 days ago

Aruba AP-615 out of the box are running Aruba Instant 8.10.x.x software.  With Aruba Instant all access points in the same VLAN forms a virtual cluster, that also required a cluster IP address.

From the Aruba Instant User Guide:

"If there is no DHCP service on the network, the Instant AP can be assigned a static IP address. If a
    static IP is not assigned, the Instant AP obtains an IP automatically within the 169.254 subnet."

I don't recognize the hex-dec value you get.

------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2024 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP-615 default IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 11 days ago

Hi Marcel, just to be clear, the AP-615 is not supported on 8.10.x.x. The first AOS-8 version to support the AP-615 is 8.11.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP-615 default IP
    Best Answer

Posted 11 days ago

You get the correct addresses from 169.254 subnet as it is described in User Guide when no DHCP is present and no static address configured on AP.

a9 = 169

fe = 254

c2 = 194

0b = 11

IP = 169.254.194.11

IP addresses of other APs are strange except if there were manually configured on APs or DHCP allocated. From your info no DHCP was active at that time.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP-615 default IP

Posted 9 days ago

Thank you, that makes sense, but why do they decided to do it in hex?

Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Aruba AP-615 default IP

Posted 2 days ago

Tell me please, is the Aruba AP-615 model managed locally by default? It has the same interface as the Aruba AP-515? I was looking for information about this model in order to buy one, but I couldn't find accurate information. Doesn't this model require some kind of additional fee licensing?

• 7.  RE: Aruba AP-615 default IP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 2 days ago

Hi Alvis,

The AP-615 can be managed locally as an IAP. You will need AOS 8.11 or later. I currently suggest 8.12.0.1.