Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba AP505 Controller

This thread has been viewed 68 times
  • 1.  Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 01, 2024 10:36 AM

Good Day everyone, im just a new IT and new to Aruba device. I have 9 access point and i want to establish a guest wifi for customers, Can you please recommend how to do it and the most cost effective solution for any controller if i need to get one. 

Thank you for all who will answer the question.

------------------------------
    Peter

• 2.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 01, 2024 01:40 PM

Hey Peter,

For a basic setup with those particular APs - no controller is needed. 

If they are running an 8.x code, once booted on the same subnet they will automatically build a configurable cluster. 

If running 10.x code licensing and Aruba Central (cloud) would be required for management. 

The below guide may be a good starting point: [starting around page 33]

IAP 8.11 Guide

If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 02, 2024 02:07 PM

Thank so much for your kind reply. i was able to setup the able yesterday and was using the virtual controller from the AP it self, i was configuring the Guest wifi for our customers but it seems like it was not having a certificate that i need to authenticate the users, also how do i extract the csr to get the cert needed for this? and where to get the compatible one? sorry for too many questions and your kind reply will be appreciated again. thank you.

• 4.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 04, 2024 11:03 AM

What firmware version is your IAP Cluster running? 

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com

• 5.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 04, 2024 11:30 PM

Hi Zak,

i have this version 8.7.1.6_81786 (Digitally Signed - Production Build).

• 6.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 05, 2024 10:36 AM

First suggestion would be to update your firmware to some thing like 8.10.0.10, to ensure you have the latest manufacture installed certificates. 

In the case you would like to use your own certificate for onboard/local captive portal. 

For 8.x IAPs there is not a CSR Generation process on the IAP it self. You would need to generate the private key and complete certificate chain on a different platform (OpenSSL, etc.). Then appropriately chain the certificate, which depends on your CA and Intermediates - which can be uploaded and assigned on the IAP. 

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com

• 7.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 06, 2024 02:19 AM

Thank you very much Zak for this, i will try and see whats up.

• 8.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 12, 2024 03:17 AM

Hi,

I have already upgraded my firmware to 8.10.0.10 and now whenever they are connecting to the guest wifi captive portal internal authentication, they are getting the message which is " The network you re trying to join has security issues " when  they click Continue anyway via browser they will be redirected to the guest network login page. Do i have to upload a new certificate? if so where can i get the exact cert, can someone share me please. thank you

• 9.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2024 05:25 AM

Yes, you need a public trusted Certificate so that End User Devices will see that connection as save.

There are several options to get a certificate, but the important thing is that is has to be public trusted.

Here is a good document about certificates - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00100345en_us&docLocale=en_US

• 10.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 12, 2024 07:02 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much for that information. Can you recommend a compatible trusted public cert for aruba AP 505? im not really sure how to get it.

Thank you

• 11.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2024 09:07 AM

Here are information about the format and the upload of certificates - https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_811_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/authentication/upload-cert.htm

First of all you need a domain, like "customer.com" - you said you are new to IT. Do you have contact to an Aruba Partner, which can assist here?

Another way could be that you manage your Infrastructure by Aruba Central. Than you don´t have to take care about certificates.

• 12.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 12, 2024 10:49 AM

I agree with Cordless here, Aruba Central maybe your best bet, as it could host your Captive Portal for you, without the necessity of generating SSL Certificates. 

Certificates for this use case (HTTPS) could be purchased from just about any where (GoDaddy, NS, DigiCert)

The Upload and Assignment process is pretty straightforward with IAP. The primary effort would come from the Certificate Request and Export.

There is not a method of CSR or Private Key creation directly on the IAP, you would have to use another tool (often OpenSSL) to generate the CSR and Key. 

That CSR could be used to produce a purchased Cert from a Public CA. Then both Key and Cert would need to be appropriately chained before uploading to the IAP.  

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com

• 13.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 13, 2024 03:08 AM

Thank you all for helping me on this. i just created a aruba central account and was able to use it, just need to clarify a few things before i start using it. I was already reading things about aruba central but i just wanna make sure that i am understanding it properly.

1. Do i need license to use this portal (Aruba Centra)?
    2. Do i need license for each and every Access Point that i am adding to the Aruba Central?
    3. I have already setup and configure all of my 9 AP using Virtual Controller, do i have to reset the AP to factory before adding it to Aruba Central? also if i add them right now with their current config will it erase everything when i add it to Aruba Central?

Thank you so much for helping me on this.

• 14.  RE: Aruba AP505 Controller

Posted Mar 13, 2024 10:59 AM

You will need a license per AP for Central Management. 

The standard Foundation License will include the "Guest" Features 

I would suggest adding one AP just as a test bed and to get familiar with the Central Platform. Is there is "Import Existing Config" option to Create a Group based on an Existing IAPs

Zak Chalupka
    wifizak@hpe.com