Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

This thread has been viewed 47 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

Posted May 30, 2023 09:33 AM

Hello Community

I am having a issue when I try to upgrade my APs in Aruba Central. Ive added the URL that the APs are trying to reach to the firewall. I was able to ping the URL IPs from the AP itself as well. I was able to do a traceroute to each IP address that the URL points to which I got from doing a nslookup of the URL. But when I try to download the firmware via Central I get this error when I do a sh log upgrade on the VC.

----------Download log start----------

Executing ('/usr/sbin/wget -T 120 -t 3 -M 29712384 --no-proxy  --proxy-passwd=****** --header=X-Ap-Info:(serial number removed by me),(mac address removed by me),AP-515 -a /tmp/download_url_log --no-check-certificate https://common.cloud.hpe.com/ccssvc/ccs-system-firmware-registry/IAP/ArubaInstant_Draco_8.10.0.6_86193')

fetching ('/usr/sbin/wget -T 120 -t 3 -M 29712384 --no-proxy  --proxy-passwd=****** --header=X-Ap-Info:(serial number removed by me),(mac address removed by me),AP-515 -a /tmp/download_url_log --no-check-certificate https://common.cloud.hpe.com/ccssvc/ccs-system-firmware-registry/IAP/ArubaInstant_Draco_8.10.0.6_86193')

--11:42:00--  https://common.cloud.hpe.com/ccssvc/ccs-system-firmware-registry/IAP/ArubaInstant_Draco_8.10.0.6_86193

=> `ArubaInstant_Draco_8.10.0.6_86193'

Resolving common.cloud.hpe.com... failed: Name or service not known.

Error: failed to retrieve image

cleaning up

done

----------Download log end------------

Download status: incomplete

----------Upgrade log start----------

upgrade log not available

----------Upgrade log end------------

Upgrade status: upgrade status not available

Has anyone run into this issue before? 

Also im aware i can remove the AP subscription and upgrade the APs then add the subscription back, but i would rather be able to run upgrades via Aruba Central.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2023 08:58 PM

have you enabled HTTP as well as HTTPS for the IAPs to download the firmware?

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

Posted May 31, 2023 08:10 AM

ill check HTTP. I know HTTPS is enabled.

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 4.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2023 03:58 AM

It is important to follow the Documentation on "Opening Firewall Ports for Device Communication" - https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/latest/content/nms/device-mgmt/communication_ports.htm

Did you followed the guidlines, depending on the location of your Central Account?

As already mentioned by @ariyap it is important to open HTTP and HTTPS

• 5.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

Posted May 31, 2023 08:13 AM

yes, i have these documents and they have been followed. but these documents do not always have complete information. for instance we had an issue were ther APs stopped reporting to Central and we had to add 8.8.8.8 DNS to the firewall rule and all the APs started reporting again. The only way we noticed this was by watching packets.

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 6.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2023 10:24 AM

These documents have all information included. When I get you right it worked after you placed Google DNS additionally. Which is logic because your internal DNS Server does not know Internet URLs.
    That´s why you get the "Resolving common.cloud.hpe.com... failed: Name or service not known." message. Every Device which has to access the Internet should be able to use a public DNS Server.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

Posted May 31, 2023 10:32 AM

no, the google dns was for a different issue we had which was the APs showing offline in Central. After we added googles dns the APs then began to show online in Central. Googles dns did not fix the firmware failure issue. We are still trying to fix that.

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 8.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2023 10:37 AM

Can you ping "common.cloud.hpe.com" from the AP?

• 9.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

Posted May 31, 2023 10:48 AM

if i do a nslookup of the URL and get the IP addresses, then yes i can ping it. but if i just try to ping the URL then no. What ive done is ping the URL from my pc to see what IP address responds and then ping that IP from the AP and it also responds.

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 10.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2023 11:08 AM

So if you cannot ping the URL, than your DNS is not working correctly.

Please do a 
    show summary support

This gives you the DNS Server used. Section "NameServer"

• 11.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

Posted May 31, 2023 11:18 AM

thats set to 0.0.0.0 as i was letting DHCP assign the DNS for the AP. ill set it to the current DNS for the network its on and see if that makes a difference

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 12.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

Posted May 31, 2023 11:28 AM

after adding a static DNS, yes i can ping the URL from the AP...

Update

This may have fixed the issue. Coming from Aruba AirWave i usually let DHCP assign the DNS address. Guess i will need to do this now since its talking to the cloud. thanks.

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 13.  RE: Aruba Central Firmware Upgrade Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 27, 2023 08:19 AM

DNS assignment via DHCP is supposed to work for Aruba APs. Never had to statically assign the DNS server.

If it does for you, check your DHCP server if you really are sending the DHCP server and in the right attribute.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.