Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central... Now Required?

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central... Now Required?

Posted 18 days ago

Just finished watching the Webinar introducing the new 7xx Access Points. They look pretty nice, though it will probably be a while before we would start looking at them. One thing they didn't mention, but that someone asked the question of, was if AOS10.x was the only supported version and if Aruba Central would be absolutely required to manage these APs. The answer... was YES.

The sites I work with require features and security a bit beyond what the Instant On products offer, but are relatively small. I've been using Central for some of them, and find it 'okay'. But it's way over-powered for what I use it for, and then not all that often. It also takes me just as long to complete a task in central as it does to reach out to a Remote Management PC and use the console. So those clients would appreciate the savings of not having to 'pay for' the licenses since there is no real benefit.

Announcements like this give me pause, though. Even with Aruba (sorry... HPE Networking/Aruba!) proclaiming how their experience is 'subscription-free', is there any indication this is a future direction they will be taking with most, if not all, of their products?

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central... Now Required?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 18 days ago

You know there is Instant APs as well. Instant APs are different from InstantOn and they can be managed by Aruba Central or not.

Most of the APs do support Instant and they can also be upgraded to AOS10 as well.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central... Now Required?

Posted 17 days ago

I'm aware. We primarily use the AP 505 in our deployments. Those (and the 6xx series) will probably be with us for quite a few years yet. Maybe I'm thinking too far out, but I would just like to start planning on where/how Central is used in deployments. As I said, it's not needed, but that suddenly changes if the products we sell will start requiring it. I would try to get clients onboard with the extra cost now rather than later, so they would get used to it.