Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central overwriting config made in CLI

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central overwriting config made in CLI

Posted Feb 12, 2024 12:47 PM

Hi guys, I come from a pure CLI Cisco background and am still getting used to managing switches in central. I know you can use the aruba-central commands (like support mode) to be able to make cli changes, but as you all know, as soon as you go back to central managed, it overwrites all of your changes.  Multi edit is not very intuitive for CX switches, everything is so sluggish and its a poor substitute for a pure CLI environment imo. We are setting up our new head office and I have run into so many frustrations trying to get even simple setups to work. For example, we have vlan 10 and 11 running as client and guest networks respectively, but central automatically assings the ip address of the switch to vlan 1. I can't for the life of me figure out where in central I can designate an actual vlan interface ... I feel like I am just hitting my head against the wall. 
    How can I just configure a switch and then make central not overwrite my config once I re-enable the central connection? Side-note: Central is great for managing everything wireless. but switching.... not so much. I know this will get better in the next central version but its extremely frustrating right now.

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central overwriting config made in CLI

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 12, 2024 09:42 PM

generally you should not use aruba-central commands (like support mode)  for config changes. that command is used for emergency cases.

like any mgmt system, if you have selected Aruba Central for configuration mgmt then it should be the single source of truth and will  ensure the confg it think should be on the switch gets synced.

Note that you have a choice to use Aruba Central as monitor only for the switches, where as the name indicates Central will not do any config mgmt.

with CX switches, you can use multiedit which will give you CLI config  access to be able to configure multiple switch as the same time. Yes it can be sluggish at times (especially compared to direct SSH access to the switch) which is being addressed in the next update.

You can also use the WebUI of the Group to make config changes like what is hon here.

In addition to putting a switch in monitor-mode, you could just paste your CLI commands in MultiEdit and that will be pushed to the selected switches.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.
    ------------------------------