Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?

This thread has been viewed 40 times
  • 1.  Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?

Posted Jun 30, 2022 09:12 PM
    Hi All,

I'm new to Aruba Central, been trying to read up on it a bit more but not finding the info as easy as I thought. Imagine its like Airwave but in the cloud :)

We have a customer who wants to implement Aruba Central SAAS, but we have a 40 week wait for Aruba switches (delivery delays) to arrive but the customer needs to move into their new building in about 3-4 months. So we are forced to potentially build a temporary network with a variety of switches until the new kit arrives.

They intend to use HP / Aruba 2930 switches and Cisco 3750 switches (possibly other Cisco switches as well) and the wireless will be Aruba Instant with the AP655.
    So the question I have is what sort of support will there be in Central for the third party-devices (Cisco)?

From what I've read Central will be able to manage and monitor most Aruba / HP kit (SUPPORTED DEVICES):
    Supported Devices, which Cisco is not listed:

But under the monitoring sites it shows third party support for Cisco:
    Monitoring Sites in the Topology Tab

Would this mean we can manage and monitor all the Aruba/HP but only monitor Cisco Equipment. I'm fine if that's the case, just need to advise the customer so they are aware.

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?
    Best Answer

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 01, 2022 09:06 AM
    "Monitor" is not what most people would think. Monitor just means that you will see the 3rd party switch in the topology view if LLDP is running on the switch. Any of the managed Aruba gear will see the adjacent 3rd party device through LLDP neighbor information. You do not get things like CPU/Memory utilization, port metrics, etc... It is set up to help you identify where the Aruba gear connects to the 3rd party gear for your topology.

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?

Posted Jul 03, 2022 05:31 AM
    Thanks very much Dustin, appreciate the response.
    So would it be fair to say that in Central, you cannot add any third party devices to mange or monitor as you can in Airwave.

Not sure if you are familiar with Cisco Meraki, whereby it is a cloud instance that manages and monitors only Cisco Meraki equipment, would Central be the same but only to manage and monitor HP/Aruba equipment listed on the supported list?

Thanks again

• 4.  RE: Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 03, 2022 02:55 PM
    That is correct.

Dustin Burns

• 5.  RE: Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 01, 2022 09:10 AM
    Here is an example of the information you would get for an unmanaged device:

Dustin Burns

• 6.  RE: Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 04, 2022 07:14 PM
    here you can find the list of support devices along with their in firmware versions
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/central/latest/content/nms/overview/supported_devices.htm

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 7.  RE: Aruba Central - Third Party Support (Manage vs Monitor) ?

Posted Jul 06, 2022 09:17 PM
    Thanks very much Ariya