Community Feedback

View Only
last person joined: 9 days ago 

How is the community doing? Do you have any questions or feedback related for the Airheads Community team? This is the place to let us know.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Cluster generating Error 13 in NPS

This thread has been viewed 16 times
  • 1.  Aruba Cluster generating Error 13 in NPS

Posted Jun 08, 2022 03:44 AM
    One of my Aruba wireless clusters has just (in the last 24 hours) started generating thousands of Error 13 entries in the System Log of my RADIUS server.
    A RADIUS message was received from the invalid RADIUS client IP address x.x.x.x
    Where x.x.x.x is the virtual IP address of the wireless cluster controller.
    I have checked the RADIUS secret, etc. and this is all correct. My other two Aruba wireless clusters are set up in exactly the same way and are not generating this error.
    Anyone got any ideas?

• 2.  RE: Aruba Cluster generating Error 13 in NPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2022 04:40 AM
    This is an NPS error that relates to how NPS perceives the incoming radius request.

It appears it is no longer accepting that client from IP x.x.x.x as a valid radius client. How have you configured the VC in radius clients on this NPS server? If you have specified a hostname instead of the VC virtual IP address, could you change this to the IP address as is seen in the request (x.x.x.x) and see if this resolves the issue. If a hostname is used, check the DNS entry correlating to this device to check it is resolving to the correct IP address from the NPS server.

The assumption here is that RADIUS proxy is configured on this cluster so all requests for authentication come from this VC IP.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Cluster generating Error 13 in NPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2022 04:57 AM
    Further to this there is a Microsoft help document related to NPS Error Event ID 13  that may be helpful:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd316135(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN 

Change the configuration of the RADIUS client

This condition can occur under the following circumstances:

• In the NPS Microsoft Management Console (MMC), a RADIUS client is configured by fully qualified domain name (FQDN) or NetBIOS name rather than by IP address, and NPS has not received a DNS server response to the name resolution query. Without the IP address provided by the name resolution query, NPS cannot contact the RADIUS client.
    • NPS is receiving communication from a RADIUS client that is not configured in the NPS MMC.
    • In the NPS MMC, a RADIUS client is configured by either IPv4 or IPv6 address, but the format of the IP address is incorrect.

• 4.  RE: Aruba Cluster generating Error 13 in NPS

Posted Jun 09, 2022 05:58 AM
    Thanks, but we have got it setup with the IP address and _not_ the FQDN. :(

• 5.  RE: Aruba Cluster generating Error 13 in NPS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 09, 2022 07:47 AM
    In your authentication server settings within the VC have you enabled 'Status-Server Authentication', or a better description would be authentication server status requests? I wouldn't have thought this would generate event ID 13 but possibly something else. 

Try turning this off and seeing if it goes away.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Cluster generating Error 13 in NPS

Posted Jun 09, 2022 07:54 AM
    Already turned off, so not that either I'm afraid.