Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

ARUBA-DEVICE-TYPE ATTRIBUTE TO A EXTERNAL DEVİCE

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  ARUBA-DEVICE-TYPE ATTRIBUTE TO A EXTERNAL DEVİCE

Posted Jul 05, 2022 02:16 PM
    Hello,
    I have a external 3rd Party NAC device which returns a different VLAN for a device type in my wireless environment. I have different AP Groups in different locations. I configured different SSID's but exact same AAA server as my NAC device. One of them seems to send the aruba-device-type attribute the other one doesn't send it. I didn't understand the reason. But i need to have them both send the device types. Does anyone have an idea about this?

• 2.  RE: ARUBA-DEVICE-TYPE ATTRIBUTE TO A EXTERNAL DEVİCE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 05, 2022 07:21 PM
    so if one of your 3rd party RADIUS servers are sending different RADIUS attrib to Aruba controllers even though the Aruba controller has the same configuration for all the AAA servers then you should look at the RADIUS server logs for clues.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: ARUBA-DEVICE-TYPE ATTRIBUTE TO A EXTERNAL DEVİCE

Posted Jul 06, 2022 03:14 AM
    Hello,

The device attribute type attribute is not sended by the RADIUS server we use. We saw it in the RADIUS Server's log files. And they told us that the ARUBA Controller is the one sending them this information. But the other SSID not seem to send this because they can not see it in the logs. The only difference with the SSID's is the one we saw the attribute in the RADIUS servers log file is in tunnel mode. The other one is in bridge. So i thought this might be the reason but i am not sure. Thank you.

• 4.  RE: ARUBA-DEVICE-TYPE ATTRIBUTE TO A EXTERNAL DEVİCE

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 06, 2022 04:08 AM
    ok thanks for clarification. Aruba-Device-Type is a RADIUS VSA that identifies a client based on its Operating System.
    Aruba controllers and IAPs send Aruba-Device-Type radius attrib automatically, you don't need to configure it.
    so you should see it for all the RADIUS requests coming from them.

Here is the screenshot of access tracker from ClearPass that shows a basic dot1x request coming from an IAP.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 5.  RE: ARUBA-DEVICE-TYPE ATTRIBUTE TO A EXTERNAL DEVİCE

Posted Jul 06, 2022 04:43 AM
    Thank you so much. So I am guessing the RADIUS Server fails to catch this information somehow. 

Have a great day!