Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

This thread has been viewed 35 times
  • 1.  Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

Posted Aug 11, 2022 10:12 PM
    Hi everyone, I was going through my old storage bins and came across an IAP-305-RW that we used to use at work which has since closed down over 2 years now. I used to take care of them and thought, oh easy peasy I can use this 305 to expand my wifi at home! Well I need your help...

1. I factory reset the 305. After it rebooted, the status led is solid green, the radio led is off (I believe it should be green though)
    2. I thought there was supposed to be an SSID instant or SetMeUp but none of those appear...
    3. The 305 can't be accessed via the web browser for some reason, but I am able to access via SSH. I saw that it is running version 10.3.1.1 which I found odd. Is this firmware ArubaOS and not ArubaInstant? I am more familiar with Aruba Instant.
    4. How do I configure this thing?

• 2.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 15, 2022 09:37 AM
    ArubaOS 10.3.1.1 is really recent and indicates that the AP is cloud managed by Aruba Central. If that is true, you will need to get the AP unsubscribed/unlinked from the customer account in Central which is something the official owner can do.

If it is managed, it probably automatically reconnects to the cloud after the factory reset, and performs a firmware upgrade, and takes the configuration (from the default group in Central) which may have no SSIDs enabled.

If you know the account owner, you can ask them to remove your AP. The other option is to contact Aruba support, but they probably will not release the AP unless they are sure that you are the legitimate owner of the product.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

Posted Aug 16, 2022 12:05 AM
    Hi thank you for your reply. I called Aruba support and they said the AP is not in Aruba Central. I spoke to a former co worker and he said he did not add the AP to Central either. I'm stuck!

• 4.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 16, 2022 02:25 AM
    It's still very weird as ArubaOS 10.3.1.1 is released around 2 weeks ago, and APs don't upgrade by themselves unless done manually or through Central (in the case of AOS 10).

Seems like you have access to SSH, in which case you could use the upgrade-image command (manual here) to install a factory image (link here) of Aruba Instant 8.x on it and see if it then stays on 8.x and doesn't connect to Central. You will need to place the factory image on an http, ftp or tftp server that is reachable from the AP.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

Posted Sep 01, 2022 10:59 AM
    I've noticed my local operated IAP in firmware I could upgrade to AOS10. From what I've read you have to use Aruba central with AOS10. So I'll stay at AOS8 no thank you and very odd to even offer AOS10 that would break my local home IAP network to manage it normally. Plus I would not want to pay for Aruba central for home network.

• 6.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2022 04:51 AM
    Yes if you go with AOS10, then you'll require Aruba Central.
    I have clicked on the check for new firmware on my local IAP and it does not show any AOS10 version.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 7.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

Posted Sep 07, 2022 08:09 AM
    My home IAP still shows AOS10 when doing a upgrade check.

• 8.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 07, 2022 10:07 AM
    It appears that some IAPs show the 10.x version when checking for a new version.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO 10.X from the Instant update screen if you want to manage the AP locally. 10.X firmware is Central managed.

This should be fixed already, or try later. Without contract, you can download the factory images, and upgrade from there to a newer 'cloud delivered' version.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 9.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

Posted Sep 07, 2022 01:00 PM
    My 305 is basically a paperweight right now. I ended up using the 205 instead. I have no idea how it was updated to V10 as it is not on Central and when we closed down the company, it was last on v8 firmware. I turned it on 1.5 years after and it suddenly has V10 on it. HP won't help me without a contract. I went in with a console cable but it was similar to ssh. I can't get the SSID to show up but I think I need to try and get the firmware to version 8. Can anyone shed some light on how to downgrade from V10 to v8 and is there any way to get the v8 firmware on a tftp or some public server to I can downgrade it? Does Aruba have ftp servers for the firmware that I can point to? I left the 305 alone for now but I have to get it out of the paperweight status it is currently in lol

• 10.  RE: Aruba IAP-305-RW at home

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2022 09:52 AM
    You probably can run a factory reset to revert to the previous firmware. Find the 'pin-hole' in the back, put in a paperclip/SIM-eject-tool or similar and hold for 10 seconds when you plug in the power/PoE ethernet cable. When you se the LEDs quick flashing, the reset command is accepted and it should revert to the previous firmware version, which hopefully is 8.x (or 6.x).

If that doesn't work, get a factory firmware from ASP, make sure you select the one for your AP type, and do an upgrade from SSH if you can login with ssh, or from the apboot if you can't. Search Airhead or the internet to find more detailed procedures if you need so.

But be aware that if your AP got upgraded to 10.x now automatically, it probably will do the same as long as it is subscribed to an active Central account.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------