Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba IAP 635: How to choose the right IAP VC?

This thread has been viewed 22 times
  • 1.  Aruba IAP 635: How to choose the right IAP VC?

Posted Aug 10, 2022 12:37 PM

Hello,

We do have a IAP Virtual Cluster with around 100 IAP-215.

Now we have buyed 4 new Aruba AP-635.

With the first 635 I have created a new IAP VC, because it is not possible to use both series in one VC (210 Series stucks at SW 8.6, 630 Series requires 8.9).

But the other 635 does not join the new VC, but it looks like the AP tries to join the VC but fails because of the SW.

I disabled autojoin, but now the the message on the old VC is auto-join disabled. Thats right, I want to join the 635 APs at the new VC.

Old and new VC are in the same subnet, I do not want to add a new WLAN Management Network along our network.

When I open the 635 ip adress in a browser i get redirected to the old VC ip address.
    Using the cli i got the promt:

94:64:24:c7:54:a2# conf t
    Configuration is not allowed when CLI is running in a degraded state.

Anyone an idea how to add the new APs to the new IAP VC instead of the old, while using the same network (vlan/subnet)?

If it is anyhow possible to get out of the degraded state to configure the VC key and name manually, that would be a great step for a solution.

Using a separate network the AP is joing the new VC, but switching the VC and member AP back to the regular vlan, I got the same behaviour as described above :-(

Thanks and kind regards

Robert

• 2.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to choose the right IAP VC?

Posted Aug 11, 2022 03:10 AM

Hi Robert,

there can be only ONE VC in a single broadcast domain. Though you could run those two 635 in standalone mode in parallel (same subnet) as the iap-215-cluster. if you want to build a 2nd cluster - you need to have a second "AP-management vlan".

Groetjes

Jochem

• 3.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to choose the right IAP VC?

Posted Aug 12, 2022 05:58 AM

Hi Jochem,

ok thanks for yout answer.

@Aruba:
    Too bad that it is not possible to use 2 VCs in the same vlan/subnet. I don't unsterstand why it is not possible, as with the vc-key and vc-ip there are parameters to distinguish between several vcs.

And migration from 2th gen to 6th gen APs is much more work than it has to be...
    to create a second vlan/subnet, to distribute it to all switches, creating additional firewall interfaces/routes/rules, and adjust clearpass etc.

Not an easy way to migrate.... :-(

• 4.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to choose the right IAP VC?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 12, 2022 06:02 AM
    All Instant APs in an Instant Cluster in the same subnet need to run the same firmware release.

If you have to run different firmware releases, you will need separate clusters (so separate VLANs), or (some of) the APs will need to be converted to standalone mode (and managed independently).

What you see and describe follows these expectations.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to choose the right IAP VC?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2022 07:42 PM
    Here is the reference or AP discovery logic
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_810_WebHelp/Content/instant-ug/custom-iap-param/ap-disc-logic.htm

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.