Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

This thread has been viewed 36 times
  • 1.  Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

Posted Aug 12, 2022 06:09 AM

Hi,

in default configuration the 6Ghz Band seems to be not used for anything.

I guess it could be used for SSID with enabling "RF band 6Ghz" under advanced options --> 802.11

But as there are not much end devices supporting this band, I would like to use this for the mesh network, so that mesh traffic and client traffic does not interfere each other.

So does anyone knows, how to choose the 6Ghz for Mesh Traffic?

Thanks and kind regards
    Robert

• 2.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 18, 2022 08:53 AM
    If I'm correct, mesh is not yet supported on 6GHz on InstantOS/ArubaOS.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 04:27 AM

Mesh doesn't support WPA3 - I did open an innovation request some longer time ago 

Mesh - offer WPA3 encryption in addition to | Aruba Innovation Zone (arubanetworks.com)

Maybe a good opportunity to get some additional votes for this.....

• 4.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 04:55 AM

@Jochem:

You got my vote. Additionally I created a new idea (Aruba IAP Virtual Controller: Mesh on 6Ghz | Aruba Innovation Zone (arubanetworks.com)), which does only focus on Wifi6 and Mesh, independent of WPA3. But i added a link to your idea. Votes are welcome :-)

Our WLAN clients do authenticate by WPA2-Enterprise / clearpass​ with client certificates

• 5.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 05:06 AM

6GHz band requires WPA3 - so I guess as soon as this will be support for MESH you can set it up utilizing 6GHz band (but just a guess) as the IAP-387 (the special p2p devices offering also 60GHz is designed for MESH)

you go my vote as well ;) - just to be on the save side

• 6.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 04:48 AM

@Herman:

Too bad :-(

Then the 6Ghz Band will be unused for many years, as we do not own any device capable of Wifi 6e / 6 Ghz.

Not really thinking it will help, as I did not seen any reaction from aruba to the ideas in the innovation zone..., but I created a innovation zone idea: Aruba IAP Virtual Controller: Mesh on 6Ghz | Aruba Innovation Zone (arubanetworks.com)

• 7.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

Posted Aug 19, 2022 10:06 AM

Hi,

I just received a mail regarding my innovation idea - I want to share here:

Jerrod Howard commented
    19 Aug 13:57

To Robert G below (or above me), we do support WPA3 mesh in 6Ghz today (we have to actually), so for your use case should you wish to reserve mesh for 6Ghz and provide dual-band Wi-Fi to clients, you could do that with (I think) 8.10 and the AP-635 (it might be 8.11 for most effectiveness). Mixing mesh and client access on 6Ghz would not be advised, both due to limit on BSSIDs but also the impact to mesh traffic.

To the original OP, we do have enhacement requests in process to start offering WPA3 for mesh in all bands, but is going to take some time as we need to build it with support for transition mode in a few cases, which is what is taking longer to build. But we expect to have support for mesh in all bands using WPA3 long-term.

• 8.  RE: Aruba IAP 635: How to use the 6GHz Band for Mesh?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 19, 2022 01:26 PM
    That was my comment. A few extra bullets but will now try to figure out what I need to respond to where with all the extra threads :)

1. Mesh will be suported in 6Ghz bands (8.11), I thought it was in 8.10 but I don't think it made it. 
    2. Mesh in 6Ghz *MUST* be WPA3, so mesh in 8.11 will support WPA3. 
    3. We are also looking at roadmap to add WPA3 mesh support to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, but that will take longer to complete. I would work with your Aruba reps and/or partners to secure a roadmap update if you can provide the customer/deal/opp size, etc so we know the criticality. 

I will get with the Mesh SW PLM to take ownership of the Innovation tickets