Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

This thread has been viewed 137 times
  • 1.  Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 25, 2022 01:38 PM
    On port 3 of the Aruba switch, there's port-security enabled.  This port had a Netgear unmanaged dummy switch connected, and everything was fine.

But, when I connected a Netgear managed switch to this port, the Netgear switch is not getting any connection from Aruba.  I did add the Netgear switch's MAC address, but its still down.  But, if I connect it back to the Netgear dummy switch, its fine.  I even tried doing a factory reset on the Netgear managed switch, but its not working.  This managed switch is acting as a dummy switch, meaning no VLANs, except the native VLAN 1.  

When I do a show mac-address 3 (this is the uplink port to the Netgear switch), I get this

Ridge-Core-24# show mac-address 3

Status and Counters - Port Address Table - 3

MAC Address VLANs
    ------------- ------------
    0000ba-20269e 1
    1866da-050134 1
    64006a-5f696c 1
    702084-09654c 1

But when I login to the webgui, I can see 9 MAC address, because that's the limit is set to.  I also have the Netgear managed switch's MAC on there.  

This is show running-config interface 3

interface 3
    name "Gerald Switch"
    untagged vlan 1
    port-security learn-mode static address-limit 9 action send-disable
    mac-address 0000ba-20269e
    exit

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GS308T.aspx

• 2.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 25, 2022 01:41 PM
    Do I need to run this command on port 3, even if its not showing up as enabled on the show running config for interface 3?

no aaa port-access authenticator 3

• 3.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 25, 2022 03:31 PM
    I ran the no aaa port-access authenticator 3 and it didn't work

I'm not sure why the web GUI is showing all 9 mac addresses, but the CLI is only showing only 4.

• 4.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2022 04:53 AM
    The command port-security learn-mode static address-limit 9 action send-disable will disable the port as soon as there are more than 9 MAC addresses *ever seen* seen on that port. Where ever probably means 'since reboot of the switch'. How many MAC addresses do you expect to be behind that switch? Have you checked what the 9 MAC addresses are that show in the list?

From what I can see, the switch does what it is told to: limit the number of MAC addresses (and changes of MAC addresses); and disable the port on violation of that rule. In general, you would not enable port-security on ports that go to other switches, but instead enforce similar on those switches. Have you considered removing the port security for that port? Or is it in there for a reason?

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 07:32 AM
    I entered the port-security learn-mode static address-limit 9 action send-disable command before I plugged in the 9th device (Netgear managed switch)

There should be 9 mac addresses because previously, the on that port, an unmanaged (no mac address) switch was connected.  So the count was 8, but I changed it to 9 because of the Netgear managed switch.

The weird thing is that, if I disconnect the managed switch, and plug in the unmanaged switch, everything works.

• 6.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 26, 2022 10:13 AM
    With a managed switch you can have multiple additional MAC addresses. Can you check after the port went 'disabled' the switch logging ( show log -r )? It probably will tell you which MAC address(es) made the port go down.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 09:13 AM
    What is the configuration on your Netgear managed switch? I suspect you need to enable trunking mode. I have tried to connect Cisco switches in access mode to Aruba switches and had the same results. When I switched to trunk mode the connection was made.

• 8.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 09:32 AM
    The Netgear managed switch is on VLAN 1, on ports on access mode.  Same as the Aruba uplink port.

This same managed switch was working before connected to another Aruba switch on same configuration (VLAN 1, all ports unmanaged)

• 9.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 09:45 AM
    Try it in trunk mode with vlan 1 tagged at both ends.

• 10.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 09:53 AM
    Correction:

This is how I got the Cisco to work and it untagged on both ends:

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/0/2
    switchport trunk native vlan 1
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 1
    switchport mode trunk

• 11.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 10:03 AM
    Thank you, but may I ask why I even need to put the Aruba and Netgear on Trunk mode?

Because this same Netgear managed switch was connected to a 48 port 2390f switch two days ago, and it was working fine (both sides on untagged vlan 1).  I removed the Netgear managed switch from this 48 port switch, because I needed more ports.

I'm connecting the Netgear managed switch to another 24 port 2390f switch and now its not working for some reason (both sides on untagged vlan 1)

• 12.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 10:13 AM
    I tried to connect the Cisco switches in access mode to a 3810M, untagged and it would not connect. When I changed the Cisco configuration to trunk mode it connected. Just my experience.

• 13.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 10:22 AM
    Ok, I'll try putting the Netgear and Aruba ports on Trunk mode VLAN 1

But I still don't understand why it worked earlier then.  Because when this same managed switch was connected to another Aruba switch, both sides were on Access mode VLAN 1.  Just trying to clarify.

• 14.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 10:57 AM
    I haven't tried putting them on Trunk mode yet, but these are the logs from port 3
    What is PD?  I'm not sure if that's causing the problem.

07/25/22 12:16:19 00076 ports: port 3 is now on-line
    I 07/25/22 12:14:56 00077 ports: port 3 is now off-line
    I 07/25/22 12:14:51 00076 ports: port 3 is now on-line
    I 07/25/22 12:11:47 00565 ports: port 3 PD Removed.
    W 07/25/22 12:11:47 00563 ports: port 3 PD MPS Absent indication.
    I 07/25/22 12:11:46 00561 ports: port 3 Applying Power to PD.
    I 07/25/22 12:11:46 00560 ports: port 3 PD Detected.

• 15.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 11:45 AM
    Looks like it is trying to negotiating POE.

• 16.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 11:49 AM
    Would that be causing the issue?  I don't think so.

• 17.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 12:15 PM

I don't think so. It does show that the switch considers that port to be an end device, (access mode).

I would kill the POE.

conf t
    int 3
    no power-over-ethernet

• 18.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 12:54 PM
    just to make sure, after I make the changes in the CLI, I need to do 'write memory' so it will save the changes right?
    So if the switch restarts, it will save the config.

• 19.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 01:18 PM
    That is correct.

• 20.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 03:39 PM
    I put port 3 on the Aruba on Tagged VLAN 1
    Then port 8 of the Netgear managed switch on Tagged VLAN 

Still, when I connect them together, no link lights, and port is down.

I even tried removing the port-security from that port, so that its no continuous mode, and no violation action, but still same thing.

• 21.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 09:31 PM

The Netgear managed switch I'm using is GS108T, I didn't mention that. 

This Netgear switch was connected to a 48 port Aruba 2390f switch on vlan 1 Untagged on both sides 3 days ago. 

I moved this Netgear switch to an Aruba 24 port 2390f (same family as the 48 port switch) and all the sudden it won't work.  Same config, all on vlan 1 untagged.  I also tried tagged mode on both sides and it didn't work either  

is the 24 port Aruba 2390f somehow not compatible with the GS108T?  It works on the 48 port 2390f  

I disabled port security on the Aruba, still no link light. I'm using a known working Ethernet cable also.  Also did ,no enable, enable, on the cli. 

Anything obvious I'm looking past?  I didn't setup the network, I'm new to this company. So I'm still figuring this out. 

• 22.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 09:46 PM

The 24 port Aruba switch is where the Netgear switch is connected to, it was previously connected to the Aruba 48 port switch (it was working)

the 24 port Aruba is connected to 48 port Aruba. The uplink ports of these 2 switches have no port security enabled. They're on continuous mode and violation set to none. 

When the Netgear switch was connected to 48 port Aruba, it was connected to port 17 on the 48 port with port security, and working. I removed the MAC address of Netgear from port 17 since it was replacing this Netgear managed with a Netgear dummy switch. 

When I connected it to the 24 port Aruba, it's connected to port 3 on Aruba with port security. I increased the MAC address count from 8 to 9, then added MAC of Netgear managed switch. Then I connected Netgear managed switch to 24 port Aruba. But no uplink and port is down. currently I have no port security in port 3 on Aruba but still down. 

When I do show mac-address 3I don't see z Netgear mac, I see the other macs (computers)

• 23.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 26, 2022 09:47 PM
    I did add the Netgear mac as static

• 24.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 27, 2022 03:16 AM
    It may be best to work with your Aruba partner or Aruba support. There is not enough information on what the exact configuration, exact logging is. It's just easier to do interactive troubleshooting instead of posting fragments of information on this forum.

At least remove all complexity, like port security, and see if it works with a minimum port configuration. Then, if needed start adding additional config. Also check the logs on the Netgear switch to see if that switch isn't bringing the link down for some reason.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 25.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 07:49 AM
    Thank you, I'll do that.  One more unrelated question.
    When I do commands from the CLI, and if I refresh the web gui, it shows up on there.
    For example, if I name interface 5 to 'test' from the cli, when I refresh the web gui of the switch, it shows interface 5 named 'test'

so do I have to do a write memory command from CLI?  Because it looks like its writing to flash automatically.

• 26.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 08:00 AM
    Yes, if you want it to persist through a reboot.  Write memory copies the running configuration to the startup configuration which is used when rebooted.

• 27.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 08:33 AM
    Ok because when I make the changes in CLI, its updating in the web gui and I'm not entering write memory.  Is this normal behavior?  Because according to my collegue (I'm new to this company), I don't need to do a write-memory since its updating on the web gui.

Update on my original issue,

I got the Netgear managed switch to work, but only on the Aruba 48 port switch, but not on the Aruba 24 port switch.
    Both of the Aruba switches have the same firmware version, and the ports are set exactly the same (VLAN 1, Tagged, no port-security)

So may be GS108T is not compatible with the Aruba 24 port?

48 port 2390F WC.16.02.0014, ROM WC.16.01.0003
    24 port 2390F WC.16.03.0005, ROM WC.16.01.0003

• 28.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 10:28 AM
    So it wouldn't hurt to run the write memory command

• 29.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 10:52 AM

You will lose your running configuration when you reboot unless you save it to the startup configuration.

There should not be a compatibility difference between the 24 port and 48 port switches. You most likely have a difference in your configuration somewhere else. Do a "show running config" on both switches and compare to see what is different.

• 30.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 11:06 AM
    Thank you

• 31.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 11:44 AM
    Sorry, I just want to know why when I enter a command in CLI, it updates on the web gui.
    I'm new to Aruba OS

• 32.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 12:14 PM
    The GUI reflects what is in the running configuration. When the switch is rebooted it loads the startup configuration. If you don't save your running configuration to the startup configuration your changes are lost when you reboot.

• 33.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 27, 2022 12:37 PM
    OK thanks, makes sense

• 34.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

MVP GURU
    Posted Jul 27, 2022 03:25 PM
    Hi, I chime in just to say my 2 Cents:

48 port Aruba 2390F WC.16.02.0014 (BootROM WC.16.01.0003)
    24 port Aruba 2390F WC.16.03.0005 (BootROM WC.16.01.0003)

are de-facto different versions (ArubaOS-Switch 16.02 versus ArubaOS-Switch 16.03...even if the two softwares share the same BootROM version), both are quite old and - considering those build levels - basically unsupported.

If I were you I would upgrade both Aruba 2930F to latest software build of WC.16.11 software branch...along with checking any relevant difference between both running configurations.

• 35.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 28, 2022 07:28 AM
    By coincidence, we had a power outage yesterday, and the switches all were shutdown.  I did not do a write-memory when I made changes two days ago, but it kept the settings.  

I guess the switches must have some kind of auto save from CLI.

• 36.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2022 07:39 AM
    If you made changes from the WebUI as well, those may have triggered a 'write memory'. Changes from the CLI will not be saved to the startup config, unless saved. If someone else logged in, many admins do a 'write memory' 'automatically', without actually thinking (not good, but happens).

If you make a change to the running config, and you lock youself out, you can ask someone to power-cycle the switch to return to the previously saved config.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 37.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 28, 2022 08:05 AM
    OK, I didn't setup these switches, so I need to look into it.  It make sense changes from WebUI triggers a 'write memory'

• 38.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 28, 2022 01:00 PM
    I'm looking at the 2 Aruaba switches, and these are their configs (not full, only the port configs), and I don't really see anything different.
    The 10.0.0.3 have port security enabled , and 10.0.0.4 doesn't (it used to, but I removed it for testing)

10.0.0.3 (Netgear switch works on this one), and port 17 was the old uplink to Netgear
    interface 17
    name "Switch in Ceiling"
    untagged vlan 1
    port-security learn-mode static address-limit 14 action send-disable
    mac-address 00c04e-491738
    exit

aaa port-access authenticator 2-4,7-8,11,15,19,23-24,26-27,33-38,42-43,50
    aaa port-access authenticator active

10.0.0.4 (Netgear switch won't work on this one), and port 3 is the new uplink to Netgear
    interface 3
    name "Gerald Switch"
    untagged vlan 1
    exit

aaa port-access authenticator 4
    aaa port-access authenticator active

• 39.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 28, 2022 01:02 PM
    The 10.0.0.3 port 17 works whether VLAN 1 tagged or untagged

The 10.0.0.4 port 3 wont work whether VLAN 1 tagged or untagged

• 40.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 29, 2022 07:12 AM
    Anyone else notice from the configs that could be blocking Netgear uplink on the 10.0.0.4 switch?

• 41.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 29, 2022 08:27 AM
    I would run these commands on both switches and compare the results:
    (connected to the Netgear switch)

show span
    show lldp conf
    show lldp info local
    show vlan 1
    show int bri
    show int statu
    show port-access sum

• 42.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2022 08:35 AM
    I think it's really weird, and you might attempt to upgrade both switches to a more recent firmware version, check the Netgear logs if that shows something (and correlate to the Aruba switch log), and probably open a support case with Aruba TAC. They may have debug commands to further investigate, or have seen similar things before. I would expect ports on 2930F to operate very similar regardless if it is a 24 or 48 port switch.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 43.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 29, 2022 08:50 AM
    Thank you, is Aruba TAC a paid support?  I'll also need to upgrade firmwares.

• 44.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2022 09:20 AM
    Yes. Contact your Aruba reseller for more information.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 45.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 29, 2022 09:23 AM
    This is what I have on the 24 port 2930F switch, WC.16.03.0005, ROM WC.16.01.0003

Do I download the WC.16.11.0005?

I'm not sure what Schema 16.11.0005 Central, Platform MIB is 

https://asp.arubanetworks.com/downloads;search=JL261A;sort=VERSION_DESC;fileTypes=SOFTWARE;products=Aruba%20Switches;productSeries=Aruba%202930F%20Switch%20Series;softwareMajorVersions=16.11

• 46.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 29, 2022 10:29 AM
    Also, what exactly does this mean?  WC.16.03.0005, ROM WC.16.01.0003

WC.16.03.005  ??
    WC 16.01.003  ??

I'm assuming one if the actual software / firmware version, but what's the other one?

• 47.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 29, 2022 11:39 AM
    Schema is for the REST API interface; MIB is for SNMP (Network management systems).

The actual firmware is the ones starting with WC (that indicates it's a 2930F).

I would take WC.16.10.0021 or WC.16.11.0005.

WC.16.03.0005 is old (16.03); ROM version is the bootloader, which for some upgrades (check the release-notes) require a minimum bootloader version, but for most upgrades the bootloader will be automatically upgraded if needed and you should not really care.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 48.  RE: Aruba to Netgear managed switch, port down

Posted Jul 29, 2022 12:33 PM
    Ok, thank you everyone for the responses.
    I was going to use this as a guide
    https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/125317-update-a-hp-switch-s-software-via-the-web-interface