Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Wireless Client DHCP Timeout Issue

This thread has been viewed 30 times
  • 1.  Aruba Wireless Client DHCP Timeout Issue

Posted 13 days ago

Recently upgraded all my IAP 205's from AirWave to 515s in Central. On the latest 8.12.0.0 firmware. I have numerous sites in Central with 515s that work fine, but this one particular site is having an excessive amount of Client DHCP Timeouts. Ive tried everything from adding and removing the ip helper-address command on the switch SVI, making sure that central was not using named VLANs, adjusting the radio power for 2.4 from 9-12 to 6-9 and 5 from 12-15 to 9-12 just incase it was a roaming issue. nothing is working. is there any thing else to try?

------------------------------
    Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 2.  RE: Aruba Wireless Client DHCP Timeout Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

Are the clients actually getting an IP address eventually?  Is there anything to characterize the clients that are struggling?

FYI, usual guidance is for the 5 GHz to have a minimum power that is 3-6 dBm higher than the maximum 2.4 GHz power.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Aruba Wireless Client DHCP Timeout Issue

Posted 12 days ago

Yes they will eventually get a DHCP address. sometimes it can take 5 minutes, or multiple reconnect attempts before they get one. No one on the wired side is having this issue and it only began after I upgraded to the 515s. I usually do ipconfig renews a couple time in command prompt to get my IP address to finally show up. In Central I see many of DHCP Timeouts in the event log. We know its not the DHCP server as I mentioned LAN connections are not having this issue and it only began after upgrading from 205's in AirWave to 515s in Central.

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 4.  RE: Aruba Wireless Client DHCP Timeout Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

I'd be looking at possible configuration differences between that site and others to see if something has accidentally been configured differently.  Another option is to run various packet captures to see where the DHCP packet gets to and hopefully where the delay is occurring.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: Aruba Wireless Client DHCP Timeout Issue

Posted 12 days ago

the configuration has been checked and compared to other sites. all the sites i have get their configuration from the group they belong to as we use the same SSID's at all our locations. What we have discovered int he pcap files is the pc sends out the dhcp request and nothing comes back to the pc. the dhcp logs show it receives the request and send the acknowledgement back but somewhere along the line the acknowledgement doesnt make it back to the pc. with multiple attempts it will finally get back. One theory is that the access points being close to one another is causing clients to roam before they receive the ack from the dhcp server. the 205s didnt do this and the 515s were a one for one replacement.

Mr. MKP
    Network Administrator

• 6.  RE: Aruba Wireless Client DHCP Timeout Issue

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

Might want to open a case with TAC for further troubleshooting.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110