Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Aruba Wireless Traffic flow - validation (diagram)

This thread has been viewed 46 times
  • 1.  Aruba Wireless Traffic flow - validation (diagram)

Posted May 07, 2023 03:37 PM

Hi guys,

I did up a traffic flow diagram explaining how traffic flows (high-level) from User to controller.
    Could someone please validate to see if I am on the right track?

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: Aruba Wireless Traffic flow - validation (diagram)
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2023 04:33 AM

Looks quite accurate; just in Step 5, you will first have GRE decapsulation to get back the 802.11 frame, then decryption.
    In step 3, the authentication will happen at the controller and from the client device, not at the AP; but diagram is not fully clear on where the authentication happens.
    Think this (old) presentation has some good slides on Tunnel/Bridge/Decrypt-Tunnel.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Aruba Wireless Traffic flow - validation (diagram)

Posted May 09, 2023 10:55 PM

Thanks Herman.
    I will make the neccessary adjustments.
    Thanks for the slide too

• 4.  RE: Aruba Wireless Traffic flow - validation (diagram)

Posted May 09, 2023 11:27 PM

Hi Herman, in the diagram, was this for the Tunnel mode bit or Decrypt mode?

• 5.  RE: Aruba Wireless Traffic flow - validation (diagram)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 12, 2023 05:20 AM

"first have GRE decapsulation to get back the 802.11 frame, then decryption" is for tunnel mode.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: Aruba Wireless Traffic flow - validation (diagram)

Posted May 23, 2023 01:09 AM

Thanks Herman