Wired

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Expand all | Collapse all

Automatic Config-Backup

This thread has been viewed 20 times
  • 1.  Automatic Config-Backup

Posted Nov 08, 2023 10:42 AM

I'm currently contemplating implementing daily backups of our clients' switch-configs. Central is not an option.

Under consideration would be scp (with the machine's pubkey getting added to the backup-linux-machine's .ssh/authorized_keys) or tftp.

The Switches are running a mix of CX 10.04-10.12 and AOS-16.09-16.11, so the job-scheduler should work. Each switch would execute a `copy` (respectivley `cfg-backup`) daily; on the target machine this would get stuffed into a GIT-repo.

I'm curious about other implementations. Or whether I was just too stupid to find a more simple solution.

• 2.  RE: Automatic Config-Backup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2023 01:56 AM

Hello Mark,

the 3 most obvious solutions would be:
    - using the job scheduler as you mentioned
    - implementing a script which would run daily to initiate a connection to the switch and run the copy command
    - or using a management software like Aruba Central, iMC or other solutions from competitors

Since you mentioned that Central is not an option the job scheduler is the easiest one to implement from the other solutions. The command syntax is also fairly simple and similar on both AOS-CX and AOS-S, so this also shouldn't be a problem. And assuming you have a manageable number of switches and not a few dozens or hundreds of devices this initial job scheduler setup shouldn't be a big issue.  

------------------------------
    Toni
    ------------------------------