Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Backing up files for AOS upgrade

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Backing up files for AOS upgrade

Posted Sep 20, 2022 06:28 AM
    Hello, 
    I am preparing for an upgrade from AOS 8.8x to 8.10.x. The setup consists of two Mobility Conductors (primary/standby), and a cluster of two md 72xx controllers
    The release notes recommends the files to backup. I have a few questions that I need advise on:
    1. Backing up flashes. The release notes recommends when using the WebUi to navigate the Mobility Conductor node hierarchy to backup the flash. As there aren't options to backup managed devices, this will only backup the flash for the Mobility Conductor and not the other nodes. Therefore, should I log directly into the the other nodes (standby mobility conductor and md's) to back them up? If I was to perform the backups via the cli should i run the backup from the # prompt, or from within mdconnect? 
    2. How can I backup the other recommended files on 8.10.x.? I know where to find the files on older 6.x releases.

Configuration data

WMS database

Local user database

Licensing database

Custom captive portal pages

x.509 certificates

​Kind regards

------------------------------
      Coffeezz

• 2.  RE: Backing up files for AOS upgrade

EMPLOYEE
      Posted Sep 21, 2022 08:30 AM
      In fact, almost all of the configuration to the MDs (Managed Device, controllers) are pushed from the MCR (Mobility Conductor), so having a backup of the MD may not be really required.
      You can just login to each of your MDs, create flashbackup and download the backup file.

As far as I know, flashbackup is the only recommended backup as it includes the items you mentioned.

8.8.x and 8.10.x are quite similar in this matter; so I would not expect too much troubles. Upgrade your MCR(s) first, the 8.10 MCR can still manage the MDs running 8.8. Then upgrade the MDs. Or are you planning an upgrade from 8.8 to 10.x? That is a different story...

Herman Robers
      ------------------------
      If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Backing up files for AOS upgrade

Posted Sep 28, 2022 09:51 AM
      Hi Herman,
      Please apologise for my delay in responding to you. I thought I had replied via my phone.

Thank you for the information. Support should update release notes with current, accurate information. The release note also references downloading SHA256, which I believe is no longer used, as digitally signed code is used. 

Kind regards

Coffeezz