Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: 3 days ago 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

Behavior of RADIUS retries on an AOS10 AP

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Behavior of RADIUS retries on an AOS10 AP

Posted 12 days ago

Hello,

I am running into an issue that the time it takes for the IPSEC tunnel to come up on a Microbranch deployment (AP to VPNC tunnel) causes issues with EAP authentication. What we observe for a wired client:

• It takes 5 minutes to several hours for the IPSEC tunnel to establish.
    • The RADIUS server is in our datacenter and cannot be reached until the tunnel is established. As a result users cannot authenticate.
    • When the tunnel finally comes up, the user can still not authenticate, even if they reboot their machine
    • The only way to fix the problem is to unplug the cable from the AP and plug it back in << I assume this action resets a counter

More troubleshooting uncovered that the AP does not send Access-Requests to the RADIUS server

The Microsoft settings are configured with 3 retries and a 30 second timeout. The Aruba settings are 3 retries 5 seconds timeout configured on for the RADIUS servers

From what I understand is that one EAPOL message from the Client can already result in 3 retries on the Aruba Side.My question: How can I change the behavior that the tunnel set up time does not lead to our end-users having to unplug/plug the  cables from the AP to the device? Should I change the retries to a really high number?

------------------------------
    Martijn van Overbeek
    Architect, Netcraftsmen a BlueAlly Company

• 2.  RE: Behavior of RADIUS retries on an AOS10 AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

have you enabled "Query Status of RADIUS Servers(RFC 5997)" for your microbranch group?

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Behavior of RADIUS retries on an AOS10 AP

Posted 11 days ago

Hi Ariyap,

Thank you for the reply, I have to double check that and will ask the client. I assume I have to enable it.

Martijn van Overbeek
    Architect, Netcraftsmen a BlueAlly Company