Cloud Managed Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss all things related to HPE Aruba Networking Central and UXI Network Management, including deployment of managed networks, configuration, best practices, APIs, Cloud Guest, AIOps, Presence Analytics, and other included Applications
Expand all | Collapse all

BGW Configuration State "Update Required" - No config synced at all

This thread has been viewed 44 times
  • 1.  BGW Configuration State "Update Required" - No config synced at all

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 21, 2022 05:41 AM
    Hi

We have Aruba Central EU-3 with one Group level configuration for Branch Gateways. When add a new factory default device and move it to this group it will not get any configuration, configuration state stuck at "Update Required".

When create a new empty group and move the device it configuration state will be "synced" and iám able to login to the CLI. Give it a hostname from the Central GUI on device level and everything went fine.

When move the device back to the corrupt production group, it loose it's device level configured hostname, not able to login to the CLI (password failed). It stuck in configuration status "UPDATE REQUIRED" but it don't get any configuration from the Central group.

But iám still able to reach the device, can firmware upgrade it (test 10.3.1.1 and 10.3.1.2), i can use diagnostics tools from the GUI. But simple can't login on the CLI, no configuration will be synced, even not the group level admin password.

This happens for all BGW's (35) in that group configuration.

When moving the device back to a empty device group all is good, even hostname is good again, and can login.

Even noted that on the group issues we see Aruba Central said there are "local device overrides", but we didn't configure anything from CLI. All configuration is done at group-level or device level for device specific configuration.

We are now waiting for Aruba Support to look into it.

Any people recognize this situation or have some tips?

Troubleshooting steps taken:

1. Power off BGW
    2. Remove device from central (bin icon delete).
    3. Power on BWG
    4. Reset BWG to factory reset using pin.
    5. Auto provision (do nothing)
    6. BGW come online in default group
    7. Config state: Update Required
    8. Config state: Update Successful

1. Make new clean BWG group for troubleshooting purpose
    2. Move device to new Group
    3. BWG will reboot
    4. Config state: Update Successful
    5. Able to login on CLI with admin/password (password set at group level of new group).
    6. Change hostname on device level in central (config update ok)

1. Move device to group production
    2. BWG will reboot
    3. Stuck at config status “UPDATE REQUIRED” for at least 15-30 minutes. (bwg at customer site stuck at this point for 24h)
    4. Not able to login
    5. Device level configure hostname is gone
    6. Run “show tech-support” dump

1. Move device back to new creatred troublshooting Group
    2. BWG will reboot
    3. Config state: Update Successful
    4. Able to login on CLI with admin/password (password set at group level of new group).
    5. Hostname is normal without changes.

------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 2.  RE: BGW Configuration State "Update Required" - No config synced at all

Posted Mar 04, 2023 04:43 PM

Hi Marcel,

any news from the support?

I think i have a similar problem with 9240 controllers and AOS 10.4.0.0.

I created a new group, do all the group settings for gateways, moved the controllers into the group. Then changed just hostname and vlan-ip address of each controller.

Both controllers are stuck on CONFIG SYNC STATUS: "Update required".

Update: i removed the application and the licenses, resettet the controller and create all new. Now they are in sync :-)

ACEP | ACSP | ACMP | ACCP| Aruba Partner Ambassador

• 3.  RE: BGW Configuration State "Update Required" - No config synced at all

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Mar 11, 2023 06:54 PM

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the late response as i was busy.

One reason could be that your group settings break the internet connection of the controller, you can to some checks from the CLI of the controller.

1. show aruba-central details and check if the controller can reach Aruba Central.
    2. ping to google dns 8.8.8.8
    3. ping to cnn.com

If your internet connection on the BGW seems look to be fine (i had that before)  delete the wlan config from the cli and re-create it, that was the solution in our cases. On the other end i learned that the WEBGUI is not always correct. When we remove a BGW from a group,  unlicenced and archived in greenlake. There could be some leftovers in the BGW group configuration. You can check the group or device level config through the frontend API interface.

Check this AFP document that is available for partners only (login required). https://afp.arubanetworks.com/afp/index.php/Gateway_CLI_configurations_in_Aruba_Central

Lessons learned always check the running CLI config and the Aruba central CLI config. When you run into issues with this again i would recommend to work with Aruba TAC Support.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2023 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own