Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

This thread has been viewed 43 times
  • 1.  Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

Posted Jan 24, 2023 09:37 AM
      |   view attached
    I have a facility that was originally setup with an Aruba Instant Cluster.  3 x Access Points that that are managed in an instant cluster a d all 3 are connected to the same V-Lan in that office (WiFi VLan).  The instant Access Point cluster is what is being used for production.  All of our other offices have a mobility Master and Local Controller setup and running 8.X firmware version. 

I have purchased 3 new Access Instant Points that I eventually want to use for production.  These 3 new Access points are still in the box and not connected to the network yet.  I also have 2 x Local Aruba 7005 controllers setup and communicating with the mobility Master.  The Aruba 7005 local Controllers are connected to the same WiFi port based VLan that the Instant cluster is connected to.  

My questions are:

1).  If I connect the new IAP Access points to the same VLan, will they automatically get connected/join to the Instant Cluster? 
           a.  And Automatically get updated to match the firmware version of the Instant Cluster? 

2).  How can I setup the new Access Points (that are still in the box) to connect to the Aruba Local Controllers while not changing the already setup Access Points that are already connected instant cluster?   

3).  I have notes how to convert an Instant Access point to 'Campus Mode'; but, I am afraid that if I follow the instructions in this case, it will convert all of the Access points into Campus mode and I do not want that to happen.

------------------------------
    Stavros K

• 2.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2023 09:46 AM
    I would boot the new access points up on a separate VLAN until they form their own cluster.  You can then convert them all at the same time with one command to a Campus AP.

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 3.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

Posted Jan 24, 2023 10:01 AM
    Can I connect the new Access Points to a different Vlan 1 at a time?  

Then manually upgrade the firmware of that specific Access Point, 1 x AP at a time, just like how my attached notes (MS Word Document Shows)?   

Then after that 1 x Instant AP has been upgraded with new firmware, to convert that same A.P to campus mode.? 

Then after the A.P. is in Campus mode, it should not automatically join the original cluster, if it gets connected to the same VLan (WiFi)  and hopefully I can provision it to the local controllers. 

Will the above plan work?  I can then power the AP's off until I am ready to use them and update the controllers.

Stavros K

• 4.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2023 10:09 AM
    You can 
    - Boot the AP up on a separate VLAN
    - The setmeup SSID will be broadcast
    - Connect to that SSID and open a browser
    - login to the GUI with admin,serial number of the AP
    - Go to maintenance and convert.  No need to upgrade or downgrade anything.

Will that work?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

HPE Design and Deploy Guides: https://community.arubanetworks.com/support/migrated-knowledge-base?attachments=&communitykey=dcc83c62-1a3a-4dd8-94dc-92968ea6fff1&pageindex=0&pagesize=12&search=&sort=most_recent&viewtype=card

• 5.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

Posted Jan 24, 2023 10:18 AM
    How about this.

- Boot the AP (1 at a time) up on a separate VLAN
    - Connect with SSH and find its IP address.
    - Login to the Web UI
    - At this point the A.P. should not be connected at all to the production WiFi (on a separate Vlan).
    - In the Web UI, upgrade the firmware and reboot.
    - Log back into the Web UI and convert that specific A.P. into Campus mode.
    - Then make sure the AP powers back up (ping wise) and power it off.
    - Then re-connect that A.P to the WiFi Vlan and try to provision it to the local controllers.

Will that work?  Then try the same process to the other 2 Access Points?

Stavros K

• 6.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 24, 2023 10:30 AM
    Yes to everything besides "upgrade the firmware".  Why would you do that instead of just convert?

• 7.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

Posted Jan 25, 2023 05:19 AM
    Software update before conversion makes no sense, you only lose time. When converting, campus mode software is downloaded from the controller, the IAP software is not used in campus mode.

All current APs are universal APs (UAP). This means that the AP searches for a controller at the first boot. If the controller is found, the UAP converts to the CAP. If no controller is found, the UAP converts to an IAP and creates an instant cluster.

Create an additional VLAN from which your WLAN controllers can be reached via routing. Then build L3 controller discovery, e.g. as described here: https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.8.0_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/access-points/enab-ctrl-disc.htm?Highlight=controller%20discovery.

The APs will find a controller at boot time, automatically convert to CAP and join to the controller.

As soon as the ap is shown on the controller in the status UP with "show ap database" you can switch it off.

All 11 APs can be converted at the same time.

Regards,

Waldemar
    ACCX # 1377, ACEP, ACA - Network Security
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 8.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

Posted Jan 25, 2023 10:25 PM

• 9.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

Posted Jan 30, 2023 04:15 AM
    I must correct, my self I do not want to add 11 ap's only 3.  And I was goign to try 1 at a time.

We do use ADP for the Access points to find the controller; but it is set for Layer 2 not layer 3.  Perhaps the AccessPOints will not be able to be converted into Campus mode if they are not on the same VLan as the Local Controllers.

If the local Controllers are on the WiFi Vlan (Lets Say VLan-100 = WiFI VLan) and the Instant Access points are connected to Vlan-1, will they be able to be converted into Campus mode?

Or will I need to edit the DHCP Server to use option 43 (https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_8.8.0_Web_Help/Content/arubaos-solutions/dhcp-option43/conf-wind-dhcp-serv.htm) force the AP's on VLan-1 to be converted to campus mode?

As you can see from my problem description, I do not want to interfere with the already existing, IAP's that have their own cluster that are also on the same Vlan.  How I have typically converted the IAP's into Campus mode was to login to teh Web UI and type in the Leader Local Conttoller's IP address.

What will happen if you cannot manually convert the Access Point into Campus mode if the A.P. is currently on a different VLan?  Will Option 43 work?  But will that try to convert the existing Access Points that are used in Production as well?  Maybe the best thing to do is to prepare the AP's for Campus mode and then convert the IAP -cluster first?  Then update the other Access points afterwards.

Stavros K

• 10.  RE: Can I convert 11 Aruba AP at a time from Instant Access Point to

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 30, 2023 04:24 AM
    Please see slides 19 and 20 of the presentation here to see the discovery process: https://community.arubanetworks.com/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MID=19694#bmf246bd1c-d5d4-45d6-890d-c9e58e2c3163

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.