Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I use the virtual controller to distribute only some of my local IPs

This thread has been viewed 11 times
  • 1.  Can I use the virtual controller to distribute only some of my local IPs

Posted Aug 03, 2022 10:25 PM
    Good morning, 

I am sorry if this is something I should know but I am new to using Aruba and I have inherited this network. 

Is it possible to use the virtual controller to just distribute a sub set of our local IPs? I have our DHCP server issuing a 10. range but I just want our controller to be able to distribute our 10.64.7.1-10.64.7.254 range.

We are using the virtual controller version 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.2_58595

I do not currently have any VLANS and the time frame needed for this project wouldn't allow me to set one up in time.

Any help would be appreciated. ​

Kind regards

James

• 2.  RE: Can I use the virtual controller to distribute only some of my local IPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 03, 2022 10:56 PM
    it is always recommended not to use Aruba controllers for your DHCP services in production.
    Also by virtual controller do you mean VC for instant APs?

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Can I use the virtual controller to distribute only some of my local IPs

Posted Aug 04, 2022 03:55 AM
    Good morning, 

We use a DHCP server but our web filtering and safeguarding software works on a set range of IPs. I can either set it to all the IPs of our school or a range of them. I am hoping to find a way to use the controller to assign only a certain range of our main DHCP scope so I can set the filtering and safeguarding on these addresses.  Ideally we would have VLANS for this but nothing is setup and I do not have the timeframe to get them setup. 

Is what I am logging in to. So I think it is the VC for instant APs. 

Kind regards

James

• 4.  RE: Can I use the virtual controller to distribute only some of my local IPs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2022 09:50 AM
    Please consider upgrading, as the software version 6.5.1.0-4.3.1.2_58595 is really old.

If you have a single VLAN with an existing DHCP server, you can't have a second DHCP server on the Instant AP for the same VLAN. Also, the DHCP server in Instant is pretty basic, if you have a second VLAN and more requirements than just 'assign an IP in the subnet', you probably can use ip-helper/dhcp relay to get DHCP working for that second VLAN/subnet.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.