Network Management

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Can VisualRF calculate latitude &longitude of all the APs if it knows the lat/long of the corners of the map?

This thread has been viewed 8 times
  • 1.  Can VisualRF calculate latitude &longitude of all the APs if it knows the lat/long of the corners of the map?

Posted Jun 22, 2022 11:38 AM
    In VisualRF on my campus map, I can "the" latitude and longitude, but I'm guessing that's for the center of the map? And for each building, there is also "the" latitude and longitude, but that's not altogether clear if that's the middle, or what if you have a floor plan that's not a rectangle and then what should I use?

Is there any way to tell VisualRF the latitudes and longitudes of the four corners of the map, and then have Airwave calculate the latitudes and longitudes of the APs that I've placed on the map?

It seems like I can't give VisualRF enough data to do interpolating, but it's really close to being able to do something really powerful.

• 2.  RE: Can VisualRF calculate latitude &longitude of all the APs if it knows the lat/long of the corners of the map?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2022 11:45 AM
    Is the question for Airwave VisualRf? 
    If so, the lat/long for AP or building is no use today. In the past, there was connection from AirWave to google maps (offline package to install) but that was discontinued years ago.
    Building orientation can be set for center of building/floors.
    Location of clients, Rogues will be done by AP triangulation. So Lat/long is not needed for AP's or floors.

• 3.  RE: Can VisualRF calculate latitude &longitude of all the APs if it knows the lat/long of the corners of the map?

Posted Jun 22, 2022 05:06 PM
    Yes, I mean Airwave.

I'm actually thinking about 911 locations for VOIP phones, which doesn't need really high precision. 

And of course there is still a "connection" between AirWave and google maps -- you right-click on the outline of your building on google maps where you know the AP is, select the lat/long, paste it into Airwave :-) A bit clunky, but it works!

• 4.  RE: Can VisualRF calculate latitude &longitude of all the APs if it knows the lat/long of the corners of the map?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2022 05:25 PM
    I meant - even though you can add the Lat/long of AP's or buildings, there is no connection to google to see the location of AP's or clients from google maps perspective. Say, you add the lat/long of buildings, the AP location  will not automatically show the lat/long. These are manual entries where the fields are present and you can add them.