Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

Posted Sep 13, 2022 07:24 AM
    Dear Experts, 

One of my customer is using 7210 controller with AOS 6.5. They are already advertising 8 SSIDs but when they configure the 9th SSID, its not broadcasting. Assignment to AP group is done as with previous SSIDs but its not being broadcasted. 

any ideas? i thought there is no limit or even if there is a limit it was supposed to be 16 i guess.

• 2.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

MVP
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 09:13 AM
    There is a max of 16 bssids per radio.

• 3.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 09:26 AM
    Its not 16, its 6 :-)
    A

• 4.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

MVP
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 09:36 AM
    Yes I should have said most APs have a limit of 16 bssids per radio - because as Herman mentions it technically varies per model. Its 16 going all the way back to 2xx series APs. It's also different if you operate in dual radio mode (8 per radio).

• 5.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

Posted Sep 13, 2022 10:13 AM
    Dear experts

I know about the recommendation and 16 ssid per radio. Can someone advise why they are not able to advertise 9th ssid?

• 6.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 10:52 AM
    What AP types do you have??

If it is 2xx/3xx/5xx/6xx, please open a TAC case. Because having that many SSIDs is really deprecated, not too many people actually try this.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

Posted Sep 13, 2022 11:19 AM
    They have 3xx and 2xx. So will it have any problem

• 8.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 12:42 PM
    Ok fair enough … been under the misapprehension that it was 6 for years
    A

• 9.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

Posted Sep 13, 2022 12:52 PM

Here's the HEX math and how to tell the number of BSSIDs you can broadcast per radio:

In the Aruba World, take a look at the BSS-Table of a dual radio AP broadcasting the same ESSID on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. If you see all of the BSSIDs with the first 11 digits the same, then that means you can only broadcast x8 SSIDs per radio. If you see the first 10 digits the same, it means you can broadcast x16 SSIDs per radio. Theoretically, you could broadcast more than x16, but I've never seen it implemented.

Thanks,

Brad

• 10.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 09:29 AM
    The number of SSIDs supported differs per AP. Most APs should support 16 BSSIDs per radio, with exception of the older APs like 104, 105, 175, that support 8 per radio.

Please note that you should not have that many SSIDs because the SSID broadcasts (also hidden SSIDs do broadcasts) will fill up the available airtime.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 11.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 13, 2022 09:48 AM
    Showing age, always worked on max of 6, but wouldn’t try and advertise 16 anyway :-)

• 12.  RE: Cannot advertise 9th SSID - AOS 6.5

Posted Sep 14, 2022 02:05 AM
    Hi!

As a wireless expert it hurts in my whole body to hear someone wanting to run 9 SSIDs on their access points. I´d advise you to work with your customer to inform them about the negative impact on airtime to broadcast that many SSIDs (it´s exponentially bad) and instead help them consolidate the usage into fewer SSIDs. As a rule of thumb I usually say the only great reason for another SSID is if you require an additional security type. So aim for 3, 802.1X, PSK and open and go from there :)

Cheers,
    Chris

Network Architect @ Aranya AB
    CWNE #306 ACMX #537