Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can't update firmware on AP204 over tftp

This thread has been viewed 33 times
  • 1.  Can't update firmware on AP204 over tftp

Posted 8 days ago

Hi there.

I'm trying to update the arubaOS image on an ap204 over tftp (using solarwinds in windows) but each time it tries to get the image, it runs on this loop where instead of printing "###" it starts to print T and drops connection, which also is shown on the solarwinds console log. I have checked every possible scenario; At boot, both the PC and the AP are on connected to the same switch with each at 1gbps connection, turned off not only the firewall but all windows security measures, tried both PoE and DC input, but nothing seems to work. Something weird is that sometimes, it almost manages to get the image, but then it can't even load a part of it. Any idea why this happens? I even tried factory_reset and purgeenv on the console. Nothing.

• 2.  RE: Can't update firmware on AP204 over tftp

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 8 days ago

T means timeout, so the AP is not receiving an expected block of data. I found TFTP having quite some issues, it doesn't handle fragmentation or NAT very well and is somewhat irreable across firewalls. Changing to another TFTP server sometimes helps, or removing devices in between (mainly firewalls/routing), but seems you did that last already.

Besides that, you should not need to manual upload an ArubaOS image to an AP204, as you would need a controller for that and the controller has a tftp server and automates/provides the firmware download.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Can't update firmware on AP204 over tftp

Posted 7 days ago

What other options are there available besides uploading over TFTP? and which other recommendatios would you suggest for using another tftp server? Beforehand I had successfully uploaded the same image to another 3 ap204 on the same setup and right now they are working, so im not sure why with this one now it doesn't work.

The thing here is this AP doesn't have any image, the whole os 0 and os 1 memory locations are completely blank, so it does this each time it boots on it's own:

And doesn't connect to the controller. Right now I have a controller on the same network at 192.168.49.76:4343, which is where the other 3 are working from, so as you mention, how could I connect to the tftp server of that controller and maybe try to get it from there? I tried using the normal ip but each time the ap goes timeout. thanks

• 4.  RE: Can't update firmware on AP204 over tftp

Posted 7 days ago

As Herman wrote, the AP can automatically download the image from the controller. To do this, it must find the controller.

In your console output you can see that the AP sends ADP multicast and broadcast and in this way searches for the controller. What comes next? Can you see whether the controller has been discovered?

ADP only works if the controller and the AP are in the same IP subnet. If the AP and controller are L3 connected you have to build L3 controller discovery, e.g. use DHCP opt 43.

Alternatively you can download the image in apboot-mode from the controller.
    Set the variables, save and start the upgrade:

setenv master <controller-ip>
    setenv serverip <controller-ip>
    save

upgrade os <ap-image-name>

Regards,

Waldemar
    ACCX # 1377, ACEP, ACX - Network Security
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 5.  RE: Can't update firmware on AP204 over tftp

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 7 days ago

Looks like your controller has ADP disabled. You can check on the controller CLI:

(md7005) #show adp config

ADP Configuration
    -----------------
    key           value
    ---           -----
    discovery     enable
    igmp-join     enable
    igmp-vlan-id  0

It's by far easiest to get the image from the controller and it should go automatically if the AP discovers the controller.

As you did a factory_reset, that wiped all images on the AP, so that is the reason why there are no images (anymore). I would try to get ADP working first, otherwise DNS or DHCP discovery should work as well. Or could it be that there are access-lists, or other security enabled on your switch that may block traffic from/to the AP?

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 6.  RE: Can't update firmware on AP204 over tftp

Posted 6 days ago

Something weird happened here. So at the end I managed to upload the image, but the solution and I don´t know why, was changing the network switch. At first, I was using a mercusys gigabit switch where the timeout error ocurred, and I decided to go with a tp-link swith, and it worked. No changing the server config, nothing on the ap, and for some reason it just worked.