Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Captive portal page resilience

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Captive portal page resilience

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 13, 2023 04:51 AM
    Hi,
    We have a guest wifi network using clearpass using a 2 node  clearpas cluster.  Each cluster node is in a different  data center and hence in a different ip address space. The FQDN configured on our mobility controllers resolves to the IP address of the master publisher.

In terms of providing resilience ( case of master publsiher becoming unavailable),  I'm guessing  front ending the  cppm cluster with a hardware load balancer and pointing the captive portal FQDN to its VIP is my only option?

Rgds
    Alex

• 2.  RE: Captive portal page resilience

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 13, 2023 04:42 PM
    you can also achieve good resilience without the HW load-balancer.

This is done by configuring a VIP on ClearPass and your Captive Portal URL and its DNS would resolve to that VIP. and your NADs would be pointing to it as well.
    You can do the same thing for RADIUS authentication as well.

------------------------------
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.

• 3.  RE: Captive portal page resilience

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Jan 13, 2023 11:48 PM
    Yes but only if you have 2 cppm appliances on the same L2 network. We have a 2 node cluster with each node in a different data centre and therefor on different l3 networks
    A
    Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Captive portal page resilience

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 14, 2023 05:15 PM
    good point, then it looks like the best option would be a load balancer.

If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos.
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE or Aruba.