Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

This thread has been viewed 80 times
  • 1.  Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 14, 2022 12:36 PM
    I am new to Arruba, my customer has asked me to set up an SSID user company. The client has a Cisco WLC and clear pass, and they want these users to log in using their LDAP credentials.

My configuration is attached. I want to know if it's accurate.

I can't access LDAP because it is managed by other individuals, therefore I imagine I would have to see if there is a corp user.

PICPICKSHAPE

• 2.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 14, 2022 02:11 PM
    Hi Athan,

You can configure LDAP under Configuration > Authentication > Sources.

When using username/password (EAP-PEAP MSCHAPv2) as authentication method your ClearPass must be AD Joined. Noted that this authentication method is pretty unsecure and can easily leak AD Credentials to the public, therefore login with AD username/password is not recommended.

When using certificate based (EAP-TLS) as authentication method your ClearPass not need to be AD Joined to lookup the Active Directory over LDAP (or better LDAP over TLS (port636)). This method is the most secure deployment and can be done at computer of user based certificates. You need to enroll the certifcates to your clients by using a MDM, Intune or GPO.

For both EAP-PEAP or EAP-TLS you need to configure RADIUS on the wlan controller and ClearPass to exchange the EAP messages.

------------------------------
    Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 3.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 15, 2022 12:16 PM
    Thank you for responding.

Yes, I am aware that EAp-TLS is safer in this situation, however my client wants me to log in using AD.

I'll have to test it with my client tomorrow, but I'd want to share my settings with you today.

JOIN AD

• 4.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 15, 2022 01:18 PM
    Hi Athan,

Basic config looks ok for me...

• ClearPass Server is AD Joined (needed for EAP-PEAP only)
    • You can browse the AD over LDAP port 389 (maybe a good choice to use LDAP over TLS port 636 for security)
    • Service looks OK (iám not familiar with the Radius:Airespace attributes but let see if it hit)
    • What is your enforcement policy and enforcement profiles look like (only needed if you want troubleshoot further)

Hope your tests will done successful tomorrow. Let us known.

Marcel Koedijk | MVP Expert 2022 | ACEP | ACMP | ACCP | ACDP | Ekahau ECSE | Not an HPE Employee | Opinions are my own

• 5.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 17, 2022 11:37 AM
    My client attempted to connect to the SSID but was unsuccessful since he had entered his domain  credentials in the SSID that I am unable to access. However, I am unable to view any log in the clear pass.

• 6.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Nov 17, 2022 12:08 PM
    If there is no information in the accesstracker check the eventlog for unauthorized NAD devices. Did you configure the wlan controller as NAD device in ClearPass?

Verzonden vanuit Outlook voor iOS

• 7.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 17, 2022 04:50 PM
    Hi, thanks for your reply.
    Tomorrow I will check even the logs for unauthorized
    Yes, I configured the WLCP controller as a device in clear pass in the first post. You can see the image.
    My client has two WLCs. I did the test only in the 5508. is more familiar to me, today I read a manual to configure the 9800. My client has some AP in the 9800, and I will have to do the test tomorrow, but I don't know if the configuration for the WLAN will be good.

• 8.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 22, 2022 06:19 AM
    Hello

I think I have two issues:

The manager IP is not routing, which is the initial issue. I configured the WLC's management IP.
    The IP data external port is configured ( this network is routeble for the client server )

Te problem is I cant see in the data port the IP 

• 9.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 23, 2022 02:10 AM
    @mkk​ any idea??

• 10.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2022 08:54 AM
    Do you need both management and data port? That is not recommended unless you absolutely need it and understand how the dual port setup works. For troubleshooting, having a single interface will make things easier.

Also, it seems you run ClearPass 6.9.0. Please make sure that you upgrade to at least the latest 6.9.x hotfix. If after that, you still require 2 interfaces, and the data port does not show up, open a TAC Support case as there seems to be an issue with your installation.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 11.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 23, 2022 03:02 PM
    Hello and thanks for your help.
    Let me describe the situation because I think I need two interfaces.
    My customer has two ranges: one for a server that is enrutable and one for the managment i am using the mannagment range is not enrutable. for get in the clear pass via vpn , which
    For these reasons, I am unable to get pings when I go to the interface management clear pass on the WLC device. I will need to construct a different interface with clear pass range server clients and add this IP to the wlc due to these reasons. How do you think ?
     I believe that my client has a perfect score on the virtual machine.-
    Document - Aruba ClearPass - 6.8 - How to Update the Software on the ClearPass Server | HPE Support

My current version

• 12.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 24, 2022 04:54 AM
    In such complex routing cases, it may be best to work with Aruba TAC to find out if it is doable and supported. If you want to do it yourself, make sure that you have read the Service Routing Tech Note.

On the version, you showed the Policy Manager System Information screenshot that displayed the 6.9.0 version and no patches. With the dual interfaces you may have made the ClearPass updates inaccessible. To upgrade to 6.9.13, get the update file from the Aruba Support Portal and do a manual update.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 13.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Nov 28, 2022 06:24 AM
    Hi .
    I was communicating with TAC Support last Friday.
    I upgraded the most recent version after configuring the device port.

Today I created a test with one of my clients who attempts to join using the SSID corp wlc 9800, which is set up as a ldpa server.
    I can't connect on to any clear pass in live monitoring, therefore how is it possible that I can't see anything?

• 14.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2022 10:40 AM
    If you see errors when connecting to Access Tracker, please work with Aruba support again until they fixed your issue.

Basic troubleshooting steps:
    - See something in Access Tracker?
    - Nothing in Access Tracker: See error in Event Viewer (Unknown NAD, Shared Secret failed).
    - Nothing in Event Viewer either: Request is not reaching ClearPass; check routing/firewalls, run packet capture on ClearPass (or other places in the network) to verify that the RADIUS request does or does not reach ClearPass.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 15.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Dec 02, 2022 02:52 AM
    The issue was resolved.
    Clear Pass and WLC weren't in communication while I was doing my test ( in the clients firewall they dont have permit the port 1812 1813 ).

My clients wish to connect their mobile devices to the same SSID.
    Is there any way to achieve a clear pass?
    there is a chance?

• 16.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 02, 2022 09:48 AM
    Yes, it's normal that also mobile devices can connect to the network. It do that securely, it's best to use EAP-TLS and a mobile device management system to configure your clients, if these are managed. Or use ClearPass Onboard if the clients are unmanaged.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 17.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2022 10:09 AM
    PEAP Authentication will not work without domain join, or an LDAP server that exposes the user's password unencrypted or as NT-Hash. Active Directory does not store the unencrypted password and will not allow access to the NT-hash, but you can use the AD server to do the validation through the domain join.

I get that the customer want you to use the AD login, but I feel you should very strongly advise against that or even refuse to implement it like that because it is almost impossible to make it secure. Check this (old) video to make the problem clear, and this guidance from Microsoft that you should not use PEAP (or rather not MSCHAPv2) anymore and TLS instead.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 18.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

Posted Dec 13, 2022 04:56 PM
    Hello, @Herman Robers

My clients have chosen to authorize EAP-TLS.
    I set up the configuration today, and the connection went well.

I'm not sure if I have the ability to add extra security measures as I've only added airspace type-Id
    Do you have any suggestions?

I have yet another inquiry because it is so difficult for me to understand all of the different service types. Do you have any advice or information for me?

I don't know if you can understand me, but as an example, I only know the attribute radius-airspace wan id it corresponds to id vlan in the controller. I would want to locate a guia that explains all of the type properties.
    ​​

• 19.  RE: Clear Pass Corp_User login LDAP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 14, 2022 04:40 AM
    What you show are just the service matching rules. These in principle do nothing for security, they just map the incoming request to the right service. For security you would create role-mapping/enforcement based on context information that you have in access tracker. That can be things like AD group membership, information in the client certificate, switch/switchport (for wired), device type (profiling), MDM status (personal/corporate device, compliant/non-compliant). Because you have a lot of freedom, it's hard to point you to a specific guide, but this is like the basic operation how ClearPass works. That is explained in the product training, or if you have a lot of time you could get the knowledge from the product guides as well but those are more suited if you have the basic understanding and need details on specific parts. You may check the video series that I created to understand the concepts as well.

For the quick-win it may be better to discuss your setup with your Aruba Partner, Aruba local SE or Aruba Support to get this set up correctly. Big question in this is what additional security/checks you are looking for, and in my experience that works better in an interactive conversation than written in a forum because there are so many option.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------