Security

View Only
last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass automatic backup info

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Clearpass automatic backup info

Posted Jan 17, 2023 05:57 AM
    Hello,
    I have some questions about automatic backup in CPPM.
    With the feature enabled, i see that the system creates different backup files at different times in the day.
    My question is: what is the difference between those backup files, as they are named differently (see the pasted screenshots)?

And another question about Backup file server: is there a way to test the functionality without waiting for the automatic backup schedule? I mean, configure it and immediately test it, or test it right after having edited it?

Thanks a lot!
    Ale

• 2.  RE: Clearpass automatic backup info

Posted Jan 17, 2023 06:43 AM
    Hi

This is a new behavior in ClearPass 6.11. Previous versions made just one backup each night, 6.11 will take backups of the Publisher three times a day.

From the 6.11 release note:
    "Further enhancements help subscribers remain synchronized with the cluster's publisher even if subscribers become disconnected from the publisher. ClearPass now takes backups of the publisher's configuration database three times a day. On the subscribers, the publisher configuration backup is periodically downloaded and restored to ensure that an offline copy of the publisher's configuration database is available to the subscribers in case they fall too far behind the publisher - for example, due to network disconnection, high latency, or high load on the subscriber. Backups are cleaned once daily on both the publisher and the subscribers to avoid disk overutilization. The backups are available at Administration > Server Manager > Local Shared Folders > Backup Files with the format "pub-backup-tips-<YYYY-MM-DD>-HH:MM:SS.tar.gz".
    Users should be aware that the time it takes for subscribers to synchronize with the publisher in the event of downtime will depend on the duration of the subscriber's downtime and on when the replication recovery is next run on the subscriber after it is back online. It might take as much as 24 hours for the subscriber to synchronize with the publisher."

------------------------------
    Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP 2023, ACCX #1335, ACMP, ACDP, ACP-Network Security, ACEP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Clearpass automatic backup info

Posted Jan 17, 2023 08:41 AM
    Hello Jonas  and thank you.
    Sorry I missed this in the release notes, my apologies.
    And do you even have an hint about the ability to test the connection to the backup file server without having to wait the automatic backup routine?

Kindly
    Alessandro