Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass full backup

This thread has been viewed 72 times
  • 1.  Clearpass full backup

Posted May 05, 2023 09:35 AM

Hi,
    as I saw the clearpass (6.10) auto backup just backups a few configurations.

How do I manage to auto backup everything (system settings, PolicyManger Settings, Guest setting, ...)
    It would be nice if this is possible in case of a complete Outage and the upcoming 6.11 upgrade.

• 2.  RE: Clearpass full backup

MVP GURU
    Posted May 05, 2023 09:39 AM

Have you set up the external Backup Server?

------------------------------
    Dustin Burns

Lead Mobility Engineer @Worldcom Exchange, Inc.

ACCX 1271| ACMX 509| ACSP | ACDA | MVP Guru 2022-2023
    If my post was useful accept solution and/or give kudos

• 3.  RE: Clearpass full backup

Posted May 05, 2023 09:50 AM

yep its set up and working, but for example the guest settings are not in the backup file.

• 4.  RE: Clearpass full backup

Posted May 05, 2023 11:14 AM

A complete copy of the Guest configuration can be exported by:
    Guest > Administration > Import Configuration > "Create a customized backup" 

If my post was useful, please Accept Solution and Give Kudos.
    Zak Chalupka
    Principal Engineer - HPE Aruba
    ACDX | ACMP | ACSP | ACCP
    wifizak@hpe.com
    Ideas expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of HPE Aruba.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass full backup

Posted May 05, 2023 11:47 AM

Yeah I also saw this. I'm searching for an automated way to backup all Clearpass configuration.

• 6.  RE: Clearpass full backup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2023 04:08 AM

What makes you think that Guest settings are not stored in the backup? I've made multiple backup-restores and Guest, Onboard, etc normally comes with the backup. You would need to manually import certificates and rejoin to the domain in case you need MSCHAPv2 authentication. If you restore to a different system, some system specific settings (licenses, IP, routing, etc) are not restored either.
    So everything, except for licenses and domain join should be in the backups.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: Clearpass full backup

Posted May 08, 2023 09:01 AM

When I have a look in the backup file, which is generated by auto backup, I don't see any guest related stuff.
    And the file is just a few MegaBytes big. 

• 8.  RE: Clearpass full backup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 10, 2023 05:34 AM

I agree that it looks like guest is not included, but in my experience when restoring the config is there.
    Please check (preferred on a test VM) and if you see issues, contact support.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: Clearpass full backup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2023 04:37 AM

Guest config is included with ClearPass config backup. Server specific settings like AD domain join, static routes, certificates, licenses and custom service parameters are not included in the config backup.

• 10.  RE: Clearpass full backup

Posted May 11, 2023 08:56 AM

Does that include ClearPass Extensions, Guest User Accounts, and Guest Devices?

• 11.  RE: Clearpass full backup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 11, 2023 12:24 PM

Yes. Extensions, guest user accounts and devices are included in ClearPass config backup. So is guest config like pages, airgroup settings etc.

• 12.  RE: Clearpass full backup

MVP
    Posted May 12, 2023 07:23 AM

I know this does not directly relate to the original question, but it is possible to separately backup Guest or parts of Guest, The UI navigation is not too intuitive IMO. 
    In ClearPass Guest, go to Administration->Import Configuration->Import Configuration->Create a customized backup (upper right).
    From there, you can either perform, name, & download a Complete Backup or perform  Custom backup, selecting what parts you wish to include.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employerBruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 13.  RE: Clearpass full backup

Posted May 16, 2023 07:43 AM

are also private and public files and changes to skins included?

• 14.  RE: Clearpass full backup

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2023 02:50 AM

Custom skins purchased from Aruba is not included in backup however customizations done to existing skins are included. Private and public files are included in backup.