Security

View Only
last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

This thread has been viewed 34 times
  • 1.  Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 8 days ago

Hi!

We have four node cluster. Two nodes are site 1, Publisher and subscriber. Site 2 we have two subscriber nodes. 

We have configured virtual ip for authentication. Site 1 have own virtual ip and site 2 have own virtual ips. 

My plan is to remove one node both sites and remove nodes behind virtual ip. In that case all authentication goes two nodes. One node per site. 

If all works well, i drop those nodes from cluster. Then i can install new 6.11. version to these nodes. I have then two separate clusters, This newly installed cluster i have to get evaluation licenses from aruba. Then i restore backups, certificates etc. After this i can point some authentication to new cluster, If authentication works fine, i am planning to disable virtual ip from old cluster and add it to new. Could this be done ? 

If authenctication works with new cluster, i can make install process to old two nodes. Join them to new cluster and then i have again four node cluster, 

After this is only license problem. Can i replace eva access license what i have new cluster old permanent access licenses? 

I

Is there gonna be any problems with this plan? This system is very critical nowadays and downtime should be so short as possible. 

Maybe someone have same kind of environment and done this process succesfully? :) I hope that i can get support to do this from here. 

• 2.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 8 days ago

Sounds like a good plan, if you can handle the full load on the 2 (or even 1) appliance. You could even rebuild one subscriber as your new publisher, so during the migration you have a publisher on the old version and new version.

There is no need to use eval licenses, just re-enter your production licenses. During the migration you can temporarily use the same licenses on the old and new servers. But if you insist on using evals, you can replace an eval license to a production license; it's just not needed in your case.

I'd recommend to work with your Aruba partner and/or Aruba support to check your migration plan, so if something goes unexpected you have someone to work with who understands the migration steps already and can quickly jump in if needed.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

MVP
    Posted 6 days ago

Are you sure there is no need for eval licenses? When they set up a temporary publisher with their configuration there would need to be CPPM licenses tied to that node since all licenses except Platform must be on the publisher.. If the Publisher is later moved to a different node, the licenses would need tto me moved & reactivated. I believe I saw it stated that all licenses are removed from a node when it is made a subscriber.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 4.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 5 days ago

Yes. No need for eval license. Just apply your existing platform license and not activate it until you finish migration. You have 90 days grace period.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 5.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 5 days ago
    How about access licenses?
    Permanent licenses are in use old cluster and need access licenses to new publisher when testinä and finally turn authentications to new cluster with same virtual ip than old. Because it is configured so many places and switches.

- Petri

• 6.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 5 days ago
    Same thin as platform licenses. You have 90 days grace period.

Gorazd Kikelj
    Account Support Manager

gorazd.kikelj@selectium.com

Hewlett Packard Enterprise
    operated by Selectium

• 7.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 5 days ago

So i can import them to new cluster.. same platform key and same for access license that are in use old version. I just don't have to activate them and authentications and all functions works without activate? and after old publisher is shutdown and under upgrade process, I can then activate new publisher licenses?

Should I drop servers from domain when I drop node from cluster? And rejoin them when upgrade is done?

Ystävällisin terveisin,

Petri Kemppainen
    ICT-suunnittelija
    Meita | Meidän IT ja Talous Oy | Meitan esite
    p. 013 339 0045 | petri.kemppainen@meita.fi
    meita.fi | Asiakaspiste |Linkedin | Facebook | Instagram

Työpäiväsi taustavoima

• 8.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 5 days ago

Yes, you just import licenses into new cluster and activate them when migration is completed.

As for domain, you can/should remove old node from domain and join new node.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 9.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 4 days ago

If you join a computer which has the same name (ClearPass is a computer in this context), in my experience AD will just overwrite the existing registration, so there should not be a need to leave the domain.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 10.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 7 days ago

I did it exactly the same way in a similar setup and it worked without problem. As Herman said you can just go with your existing prod license in the new cluster.
    If you have hardware appliances make sure to convert your PAK to 6.8 or newer format to activate the re-installed nodes.

• 11.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 6 days ago

Would the above also apply to my use case? 

I'm running 6.9.13.138003 on 4 nodes.  The publisher is a physical hardware appliance.  The subscribers are all virtual.   Pup+1 Sub at the HQ site, and 2 Subs at a remote site.  I would like to end up with the hardware appliance being the publisher in the end again.   Am I better off pulling our a couple of VM subs and building them as the new cluster, and then moving to it and doing the other 2?  Can a subscriber be "promoted" to a publisher so I could start by making #3 and #4 the active Pub and Sub while I upgrade #1 and #2?   What kind of timeframe are people having that it takes to accomplish an upgrade?

Since I'm back on 6.9.13, will I be needing any licenses in advance, before I even start the process?  Also, will I need to make extra hops in versions to get to what would be considered current stable?

I've never done any sort of Clearpass upgrade in the past, so I'll be reaching out to a partner for help, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I dig in.  Also, if this is going to involve a downtime where the process is long enough that it will have to be after hours on a weekend, I'll push it all out into October.  But if it's a quick and easy process and in theory I could push 2 units offline and rebuild them during the weekday daytime since we have 4, then I'd love to just get it done in June.

• 12.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 6 days ago

I think in your case it's even easier as you don't need to reinstall all of your CPPM appliances on hardware, expect the publisher node. Just create new appliances based on the 6.11.1 Image and upgrade them to the current patches. Restore them with your backup and reinstall all licenses + certificates. You can find a guide with more detailed steps here:
    https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.11/Installation-Guide/Content/UpgradeUpdate/Up-UpgradingTo_6.11.htm?tocpath=Installing%20ClearPass%206.11%7C_____0

When you have the new Cluster running you can convert your hardware appliance with the ISO file and join it. Last step would be then to promote the hardware appliance to publisher in Server Manager > Server Configuration. 

• 13.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 6 days ago

That all sounds good and makes good sense, thanks for that.  I wasn't sure that you could promote a subscriber to publisher but a little digging found that it is do-able.  So if I detach 2 subs, and I fire them up on the new images, what is the best way to deal with IP addressing?  Right now all of our devices are pointing to 3 or 4 IP addresses, individual addresses of the devices.  i.e. not a single virtual IP.   Do I just let the devices like switches and AP controller find out that the old primary is unreachable and it starts to hit one of the alternates?  Or will I have to be careful of restoring an image onto the new VM?  Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong....will I actually be doing individual backups of each device, and restoring each one of them to the newly created replacement servers?  In my head I was thinking that one backup of the publisher would be all I'd be doing.   I'll have to read that link you provided and start to digest the process.  Thanks for the info!

• 14.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

Posted 6 days ago

Hi.

You create a new publisher and restore old publisher backup to it. You can reuse IP addresses if you power down the old VM. And apply node specific configuration like joining to domain. 

Other VMs you just deploy from fresh or reuse old VMs with a new image and join them into the cluster as subscribers. You don't do a subscriber restore. You need to migrate certs, extensions and other subscriber specific settings like custom skins.

Best, Gorazd 

Gorazd Kikelj
    MVP Guru 2024

• 15.  RE: Clearpass hardware upgrade to version 6.11.1

MVP
    Posted 6 days ago

One bit of advice from personal experience, especially if you have defined custom Admin Privileges. Be dure to verify you can successfully import your configuration & form a cluster on the new code.

18 months ago, we tried upgrading from 6.9.13 to 6.0,x and ended up reverting. We have some custom Admin Privileges and database naming changes in the backend were not included in the upgrade import. We were ablt to upgrade thepublisher but then were unable to add any subscribers t the cluster. We reverted back to 6.9.13 and decides to build a fresh configuration for 6.11 since we have a lot of old, unused parts in our old 6.9.13 config anyway. We were one of the first ClearPass customers way back on version 5.1.1.

We chose to buikd our new cluster on 6.12.2 due to the rewritten Entra ID auth source. Be careful what patch version of 6.11 you use, One version (6.11.8?) has a bug affectinf RADIUs on hardware servers. I know it was fixed in 6,12,2 but anm unsure what 6.11 patch has the fix. 

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer