Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

This thread has been viewed 121 times
  • 1.  ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Dec 20, 2023 05:41 AM

Hello,

Im struggling with the combination for machine and user authentication using Intune and Azure.

I have enrolled machine and user certificates using SCEP in Intune, so I should be good to use EAP-TLS for both.

My Intune extension is working fine, and when I'am only doing Machine authentication, then I don't have (that well discussed 404) error, and authentication using EAP-TLS works fine.

But When I try to combine this with user authorisation through Azure AAD, then I receive that 404 error, and from the extension I can see that the information cannot be found. I must say that I use this in one Clearpass service, and I don't know if this is correct or that I should use two services.

I have my scep profile for user certificates setup like this:

The logs from the Intune extension first show the succesfull searches for the machine when it's booted, but when I login with the credentials then the authentication is done, but It cannot match the information from Intune/Azure.

What do I need to change? 

The authorisation in my ClearPass service looks like:

When both authentications are working fine, then I will try to combine them using EAP-TEAP.

Thanks in advance!

Jan.

• 2.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Dec 20, 2023 08:11 AM

Does Azure AD Extension support EAP-TEAP?  Is the supplicant actually configured for TEAP or EAP-TLS?  

• 3.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Dec 20, 2023 08:19 AM

No idea, right now I'am using EAP-TLS, but when it's possible I would like to use EAP-TEAP in the future...

Right now my problem is that the EAP-TLS user authentication is giving that 404 Error like I described in my post.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 20, 2023 11:06 AM

You should have the Intune Device ID as your CN ( CN={{DeviceID}} ) as that is what the Intune Extension queries for.

Did you find/check the ClearPass Intune integration TechNote?

The presentation (halfway the list) that I created for Atmosphere Belgium has some additional background and screenshots, as well how to configure TEAP through Intune.

The 404 message in the Intune Extension means in most cases that you are not querying the extension by a valid and enrolled Intune Device ID. It seems to query based on 'T1' which indeed is not a valid device ID.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Dec 20, 2023 01:51 PM

Hello Herman,

Thanks for you reply.

I've added that "Intune Device ID as your CN ( CN={{DeviceID}} " on my SCEP device policy in Intune, and that seems to work fine, I don't get errors on that!

But for the SCEP profile for Intune or Azure users I use this setting:

And on that I get those 404 errors.

Do I misunderstand something?

Regards,

Jan

• 6.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2023 05:38 AM

Yes, on the User certificate you should also have the CN={{DeviceID}}. You can add the username/other fields as SAN. This is how my User Cert config looks like:

It uses my ClearPass as SCEP server, you may have another CA there.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 7.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Dec 21, 2023 09:00 AM

This depends on how you have your authentication source setup for your Intune extension:

I am using this:
    /device/info/id/%{Certificate:Subject-AltName-URI}

My user cert looks like this:

This is able to work because the DeviceID is what is passed  from the Authentication source to the Intune extension.  

If in our source you are using the CN as what is matched, then yes you will need to have the DeviceID on both the user and machine cert for the CN.

Here is my machine/device cert:
    Again, I have the DeviceID in the subject-alt-name on the cert as URI={{DeviceId}}

"Yes, on the User certificate you should also have the CN={{DeviceID}}. You can add the username/other fields as SAN. This is how my User Cert config looks like"
    How does your username come across in the access tracker for the RADIUS request?  Does it show the username of the user when it is a user auth?  Or does it show the DeviceID as the username?  Do you have Azure AD authentication source setup with that and working?

• 8.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 21, 2023 09:42 AM

Apparently the Windows Supplicant sends the SAN-UserPrincipalName, as I just see the username (UPN) in the authentication request:

So the username sent by the supplicant is the SAN-msUPN (or email as that is the same, but UPN makes more sense)

So, yes I can use the Entra ID Authorization source working as well:

and fully query Intune. I never tried, but putting the DeviceID in another attribute that is unique so it can be used in the Intune Authorization, like you do with the URI SAN Attribute.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 9.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Dec 21, 2023 09:12 AM

Interesting - you have both the Intune device ID and AzureADDevice ID on your cert.... You cant use  {Certificate:Subject-AltName-URI} as that would match both the DeviceID and AzureADDeviceID on the cert.

The question is why do you have the AzureAD device ID on there?  Are you using this so that you can pull groups using the undocumented
    "enableUserGroups": true?

• 10.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 22, 2023 04:00 AM

I didn't have a specific reason, except that I assumed it was useful to have both the Intune Device ID and the  AAD/EntraID device ID, but have not really done anything with it. I found this Microsoft Article that even advises against using the DeviceID as CN for Windows devices, but I have not seen any issues.

Most important is to have the Intune Device ID as a single field in ClearPass, and a (unique) SAN attribute would work, and me putting 2 URI attributes in violates that purpose. The Aruba documentation uses the CN={{DeviceId}}, so that is also what I followed, but as many times with ClearPass if you understand what is actually happening under the hood, there are many ways to solve the same 'problem'.

I have not used the Intune enableUserGroups, or in fact I switched it on but not really used it. I see the groups in the logs, but you would need to run an undocumented HTTP call to get to the User Group information as far as I can see, and I don't have the information about that one. You get similar information now with the EntraID AuthZ, so it may be considered obsolete/redundant.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 11.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Dec 22, 2023 06:01 AM

Hello Herman,

After I changed the SCEP policy for the User certificate to use the CN={{DeviceID}}, my 404 errors we're gone!

So thats one step further :)

I'am still using two services (EAP-TLS) to catch both authentications and for now I use the "@" from the username to differentiate between them.

but I cannot find the AAD atributes yet, I only see the Intune attributes.

I probably need to change the authentication method to EAP-TEAP (EAP Chaining) with both device and user authentication with Intune/Azure

Is this the same as for the Internet/Youtube examples with On-prem AD + Certs ? (only without authorisation required in the authentication method)

Regards,

Jan.

• 12.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Dec 22, 2023 08:27 AM

TEAP with Intune is indeed similar to configuring with AD deployed certificates. Just if you have multiple certificates, AD and Intune, you may need to select the client CA where you can select the 'simple certificate selection', to make sure the right certificates are selected.

I would not see why EAP-TLS with user certificates would be different from TEAP, from the perspective of the Entra ID user lookup.

Do you see in Access Tracker the Entra ID UserPrincipleName as username? Probably yes, as you filter on the '@' in the username. Did you create an EntraID (Azure AD) Authentication Source? Did you add that as an Authorization Source? And did you create at least one rule (that matches) in role-mapping or enforcement? If there are no rules evaluated that check a value from an authorization source, the policy won't be affected by the result and as performance optimization step the source is not even evaluated, so you won't see the information if you only add the authorization source.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 13.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Jan 05, 2024 04:34 AM

Hello Herman,

I still cannot see and use the Azure attributes for some reason!

Both authentications work (Device & User):

But In the Access Tracker I only see the Intune attributes:

My AAD authorisation source is configured and tested!

My current rol mapping is still very basic, but tries to use some Azure attributes:

Any idea why I cannot use the Azure attributes?

Regards,

Jan

• 14.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 05, 2024 05:43 AM

You missed the screenshot of the role mapping, but if your user T1@......com is in your Entra ID, I would expect the lookup to happen. And if you have a role mapping based on one of the attributes, these should show up in Access Tracker where you now just see the Intune attributes. Also, if the lookup didn't work, I would have expected an Alerts tab in Access Tracker, which is not shown. The "Show Logs" in Access Tracker may reveal even some more.

Did you work with your Aruba Partner or Aruba TAC already? It may be easier to do some interactive testing to find where the issue lies.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 15.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Jan 05, 2024 06:04 AM

Hello Herman

Again ,thanks for your quick response.

Here the screenshot for the rol mapping I missed :(

The user T1 is in my Entra-ID:

Like you advise, I will create a Aruba support case

Thanks,

Jan

• 16.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Jan 17, 2024 11:16 AM

Hello Herman,  we've finally solved our issue with the Entra ID attributes.

The problem seemed to be an incorrect filter query in our authentication source for the Entra ID.

After my colleague changed the filter query to:

We're able to see the attributes in the Access Tracker and we could use them for rol mapping.

so obviously the old (standard) query was incorrect!

Regards,

Jan

• 17.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Mar 25, 2024 07:23 AM

Hello jeepee,

Can you post step by step guide how you implemented this on EntraID and CPPM in whole.

We are implementing something similar, I need some guidance in testing this first and implement in our setup.

Thanks for your understanding.

• 18.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2024 05:30 AM

In CPPM 6.12 the Entra ID auth source was completely rewritten. For me, i could not get the 6.11 version working with TLS certificates.

In our lab, I currently have Entra ID auth source working with TLS after some assistance from our account team. We are not using the Intune extension though. We use a third-party cloud vendor for our PKI and personal device onboarding. We currently have Intune working with our onboarding vendor for Entra ID joined devices and are working on getting it working with our AD Hybrid devices.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 19.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

Posted Mar 26, 2024 08:19 AM

Exactly what I am referring to (see below screenshot), however there is no end to end guide on this for 6.12, I do see a intune based guide though for 6.11. They kind of documented it on web, and that page breaks the tree content structure on left bar...

https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.12/PolicyManager/Content/CPPM_UserGuide/Auth/AuthSource_Entra.htm

Anyone has this working end to end?

• 20.  RE: ClearPass: How to combine machine and user auth with EAP-TLS in Intune and Azure

MVP
    Posted Mar 26, 2024 10:57 AM

I ended up using an auth source filter from a senior SE that I then customized.. My source has 2 Attribute queries - 1 for user and 1 for device.

We put the Entra ID device id in the email SAN field of the device certificate.

users:users/?$select=id, userPrincipalName,accountEnabled&$filter=userPrincipalName eq %{Certificate:Subject-AltName-Email};group:/users/%{users:id}/memberOf?$select=displayName,id,groupTypes

device:devices?$select=id,deviceId,displayName&$filter=deviceId eq %{Certificate:Subject-AltName-Email};deviceGroups:devices/%{device:id}/memberof?$select=displayName

If you need more information, just let me know.

Bruce

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer