Security

View Only
last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

This thread has been viewed 112 times
  • 1.  Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Oct 26, 2023 04:16 PM

We currently have an on prem AD that we check based on a computer certificate. We are now working on doing this with Intune devices based on EAP TLS. We use 1 root CA under which the local ad and intune users receive their certificate from another "issuing". Now we get the error 404 back.

We are using the following authentication source:

If we do not use role mappings, authentication works, even though we get the same error message. Is this more because clearpass knows our certificate. However, we want to make a distinction here with the following role mapping:

• 2.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 31, 2023 10:25 AM

For the Intune Extension you would need the Intune Device ID as CN in your certificate and where you 'blurred' in the extension logs, should appear the Intune Device ID.

The 404 error suggests that the ID queried in Intune is not the Intune Device ID, or the device is not in the same Intune Instance, or the API permissions are not properly setup in Entra ID.

Did you configure synchronization to the Endpoint DB as well? And do you see the Endpoint Repository populated with Intune Attributes?

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Oct 31, 2023 10:58 AM

Hello Herman,

In the extension log that has been blurred we see the "Intune device name" returned

The endpoint DB has been synced and we see Intune attributes here. So when we look in the enpoints we see intune devices. However, we want to use http authorization mode.

assuming the device id needs to be configured in the certificate as shown in the clearpass documentation.

Afbeelding met tekst, schermopname, Lettertype, nummer  Automatisch gegenereerde beschrijving

when using the source without authentication source, we get the same error.Afbeelding met tekst, schermopname, Lettertype, nummer  Automatisch gegenereerde beschrijving

Afbeelding met tekst, schermopname, Lettertype, nummer  Automatisch gegenereerde beschrijving

• 4.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Nov 01, 2023 12:22 AM

I had the same issue, had to do two things:

1) It seems that using a SAN field with the URI including 'IntuneDeviceID://' doesn't work because ClearPass doesn't strip it off. I think ClearPass just wants the actual DeviceID value only.

I opted to not use the SAN, and just use CN={{DeviceID}} in the SCEP profile.

2) I am using the 'enableEndpointCache' value and only syncing certain attributes. I was not syncing the attributes that I was trying to populate with the HTTP authz source, so I had to add these.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 12, 2023 08:31 AM

Hi Skywave,

we are using the CN only in the SCEP profile, but I get the rlm_eap_tls: certificate does not have X509v3 Subject Alternative Name extension error.

Regards,

Erik

• 6.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 12, 2023 05:20 PM

Hi Erik,

I didn't see that issue in our deployment.

I wonder if you have Certificate Comparison enabled in your TLS authentication method?

Also we are using EAP-TEAP in our environment, 

Cheers,

Chris

• 7.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 13, 2023 04:43 AM

Yes Compare CN or SAN.

I'll change it to Compare CN only

• 8.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 13, 2023 04:50 AM

Changing to Compare CN only gave me the same error. 

• 9.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 13, 2023 05:29 PM

Hmm not sure why that would be the case, unless the SAN field is referenced elsewhere in the service, or the HTTP auth source.

As Herman has suggested, it would be worth getting a partner or TAC involved who can look at the logs and configuration in its entirety.

• 10.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 14, 2023 02:52 AM

Ok, I'll create another case... :)

thanks.

• 11.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 14, 2023 02:05 AM

I see the same issues with one of my customers, checked the configuration multiple times (with TAC)
    So working with TAC already but we still have not found what causes this.

Gerber van Beek

• 12.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 01, 2023 09:23 AM

In the extension you should not see a device name, but the Device ID.... if you see a name, there probably is something different in the CN, which the client then sends as the username. With just blurred/obfuscated screenshots it's hard to find what's wrong. Maybe you can work with your Aruba partner or Aruba support as having full access to the screens and log data makes it much easier to find and solve the issue.

The extension log should look like:

[2023-11-01T14:15:32.773] [INFO] Intune - [fdd2d322-27fd-4f82-a5da-07eb7142dccf] Request for information received from ::ffff:172.20.123.1.
    [2023-11-01T14:15:33.147] [INFO] Intune - [fdd2d322-27fd-4f82-a5da-07eb7142dccf] Information returned for device fdd2d322-27fd-4f82-a5da-07eb7142dccf.

Where that Device ID should match what's in Intune:

And what is the Subject-CN in the certificate:

If it's different at some point, it probably won't work.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 13.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Dec 12, 2023 08:27 AM

Did you found the solution Ahmet?

Having the same issue right now.

Do you use EAP-TLS or EAP-TEAP?

Regards,

Erik

• 14.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Jan 29, 2024 12:24 PM

Hello Herman,

When you say "Intune Device ID as CN" is it really mandatory for it to be "DevideID"? Couldn't it be, for example, the IMEI or SERIALNUMBER? In MS documentation, it is not advisable in some cases to use CN={{DeviceId}} ( Use SCEP certificate profiles with Microsoft Intune | Microsoft Learn)

Thank you

• 15.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 13, 2024 09:23 AM

Saw that recommendation as well. You can as well use one of the SAN options, where the URL seems most appropriated, to store the DeviceId. But I have not seen issues with CN={{DeviceId}}'. Bottom line, ClearPass needs to have access to the DeviceId in an (unique) attribute of the certificate.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 16.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted Feb 14, 2024 06:54 AM

Can you share what your filter looks like with your HTTP config?

• 17.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 14, 2024 06:56 AM

This is what I have:

Herman Robers
    ------------------------

• 18.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted 19 days ago

I have the same issue with newly installed devices.

My logs:
    [2024-05-29T13:13:19.941] [ERROR] Intune - Error searching by id 46aed026-f652-43c1-996d-b9485a835a77.  Request failed with status code 404
    [2024-05-29T13:13:21.182] [INFO] Intune - [46aed026-f652-43c1-996d-b9485a835a77] Request for information received from ::ffff:172.17.0.1.
    [2024-05-29T13:13:21.423] [ERROR] Intune - Error searching by id 46aed026-f652-43c1-996d-b9485a835a77.  Request failed with status code 404
    [2024-05-29T13:13:23.312] [INFO] Intune - [46aed026-f652-43c1-996d-b9485a835a77] Request for information received from ::ffff:172.17.0.1.
    [2024-05-29T13:13:23.507] [ERROR] Intune - Error searching by id 46aed026-f652-43c1-996d-b9485a835a77.  Request failed with status code 404
    [2024-05-29T13:13:26.265] [INFO] Intune - [46aed026-f652-43c1-996d-b9485a835a77] Request for information received from ::ffff:172.17.0.1.

I don't mind sharing the ID's because they don't exist in our tenant. Neither as Intune ID or Azure ID.
    At this point I have no idea where the Intune extension got the ID for this query..

• 19.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted 19 days ago

Hi David,

is your Intune setup right?

ClearPass Intune error 404 seems like this:

The 404 error suggests that the ID queried in Intune is not the Intune Device ID, or the device is not in the same Intune Instance, or the API permissions are not properly setup in Entra ID.

• 20.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted 19 days ago

Hi Erik,

The connector work fine for our 4-5k other devices.
    Only the freshly installed ones have issues and that's when I get to see this log in the connector (querying unknown ID's).

I've checked the Intune entries of these newly installed devices and it doesn't equal their Intune or Azure ID.
    I've entered the ID to see which device it belongs to (Intune and Azure) but no hits either

• 21.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

Posted 19 days ago

Looked up these fauly id's in the 'Endpoint' database in the ClearPass and found the devices, but the Intune ID that the database has, does not match the Intune ID in Intune.
    Seems like the database for some reason has issues updating (certain) devices

• 22.  RE: Clearpass intune : HTTP attribute query returned error=404

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 19 days ago

I assume you use the Intune Device ID from a field in the client certificate? If so, check in your certificate policy (Intune) what is put in that field, or else where the Intune Device ID is stored... If you see the 404 error for HTTP based lookup, that is independent on what is in the ClearPass Endpoint database. I would find out, and make sure that you have the correct IDs to work with.

Could it be that you have clients with certificates issued before you made changes to the certificate fields? By default the Entra ID device ID is included in the certificate, not the Intune Device ID.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------