Security

View Only
last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass Licensing

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  ClearPass Licensing

MVP
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 04:14 PM

Simple question, whats the difference between perpetual and subscription licensing? I would like to quote a customer for licensing for ClearPass, but I want to make sure they have the correct license type.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: ClearPass Licensing
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 05:24 PM

The perpetual licenses NEVER expire.  They act like AP or PEF licenses on the controller.

The subscription licenses DO expire after 1,3, or 5 years.  These liceses (unlike the perpetual) DO INCLUDE support.

• 3.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

MVP
    Posted Mar 25, 2014 05:27 PM

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

• 4.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

Posted Nov 24, 2017 05:54 AM
    HI, If the perpetual license wont expire, then what is the meaning of 1 yr, 3yrs or 5yrs perpetual licenses.

• 5.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

Posted May 29, 2018 04:40 AM

Hi SethFiermonti,

I know this is an older entry, but since the Perpetual Licenses are available in ClearpassNL as well, I need to ask more in depth. Perpetual means this License never expires, thats clear. And it's also clear to me, that the Subscription License includes Support. But which kind of Support?  I mean, if you buy the AccessLicense as Perpetual it's much cheaper. Ok, then I need a Carepack, but this also much cheeper with 5Y FC NBD then a 5Y subscribtion License. So, what ist the difference between a Perpetual with 5Y FC NBD and 5Y Subscribtion License? No Major Release Updates?

regards

Markus

• 6.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

Posted Jun 08, 2018 04:27 AM

Hi Guys,

let me answer this by myself. I asked a hpe aruba clearpass productmanager at the EMEA atmosphere. The simple Answer ist. There ist no difference between subscription land perpetual licenses regardig the Support Services. The Subsciption License seems to be the best decision if your customer just want the 1Y Support. For 3 an 5Y Support the Perpetual seems to be the best decision. So Look at my litlle Example for Customer with 500 Access, 100 Onboard and 100 Onguard Licenses.

Perpetual vs. Subsciption.png

Hope this will help some of you.

regards

• 7.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

Posted 6 days ago

Let's see if I still get an answer on this old thread...

I am struggling with Arubas Carepack policies. On the example of Clearpass: I understand that I need a Carepack for the server: it entitles me for software downloads and TAC support.

What services are included in Carepacks for Access-, Onboard- and OnGuard licenses? Or in other words: why would I need a Carepack on those what is not covered by the Clearpass appliance Carepack?

Regards,

• 8.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 2 days ago

Here is an explanation on the different support options and what is covered.

Your Aruba partner can probably provide you with an even better explanation, but in general you purchase support based on the product that you purchased. If you need support (or software updates) on RADIUS authentication on ClearPass, that would be why you have support on Access Licenses; same for Onboard or Onguard. That the software is installed on an appliance does not make a difference. It's similar to if you have Office running on Windows running on an HP laptop. You would need licenses/support on all three of them. So the ClearPass appliance support covers the appliance itself (hardware or VM).

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 9.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

Posted 2 days ago

Hi

If I speculate a bit regarding the different types of support we have for ClearPass today we have to take the history into account. In the old licensing model, pre 6.7, the appliance server was bundled with a specific capacity license. We had 500, 5k and 25k appliances. With 6.7 the hardware and licenses was separated and we got the license model we have today.

This way a customer can buy the hardware and support on the physical or virtual server and can download software updates. In addition to the hardware or platform license you must buy the licenses. On each of these licenses you need to buy a support agreement for the specific functions included in each license. I also guess that the complexity of troubleshooting an number of cases related to an environment with an Access 100 license is much lower than an environment with a 25k license. With a support agreement for each type of license the customer will be able to pay as they grow also for support. If all support was included in the hardware support the customer with the small environment would get a quite high support cost, and the customer with a very large environment would get a really cheep support agreement.

So, this way the cost for the support can be sized for the size of implementation for each specific customer.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP Guru 2024, ACEX, ACDX #1600, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 10.  RE: ClearPass Licensing

Posted 2 days ago

Thank you both, Herman and Jonas

Makes sense and I can argue with the customers about why they have to purchase a Carepack for every  item they use.

Best regards,