Security

View Only
last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

ClearPass-Missing Enpoint Profile In ClearPass

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  ClearPass-Missing Enpoint Profile In ClearPass

Posted Nov 09, 2022 04:18 PM
    Issue:
    Various devices are missing the "endpoint profile" section in ClearPass while other devices have the "endpoint profile"

After looking at the "show logs" for the endpoint in Aruba I found this error message
    2022-11-03 10:47:12,237 [AuthReqThreadPool-21-0x7fe0713ec700 r=R000118f2-01-6363d470 h=74] ERROR ExtDB.DBQuery - ResultSet is empty
    2022-11-03 10:47:12,237 [AuthReqThreadPool-21-0x7fe0713ec700 r=R000118f2-01-6363d470 h=74] ERROR ExtDB.DBQuery - Failed to get value for attributes=Category, OS Family]
    When a client connects to the wifi some of the devices (it seems to be random) "Fail to get Device Category/OS Family this causing issues with the way our services is setup, but I can not seem to figure out why this is happening. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Environment:
    1-primary Mobility Conductor and a Backup Mobility Conductor
    12-Aruba controllers managed by the Mobility Conductor
    The WLCs connect to a publisher Clearpass server and a Backup ClearPass server
    DHCP is handled by an external Windows Server
    This image is showing the section missing from the Endpoints that doesn't retrieve the Category and OS Family

This image contains the endpoint attribute

• 2.  RE: ClearPass-Missing Enpoint Profile In ClearPass

Posted Nov 10, 2022 02:24 AM
    My experience is that this is usually problem with device profiling. Maybe dhcp relay messages were not received by clearpass or device is using static IP address. Check endpoint database to see what fingerprints are for these devices.

It's a tricky problem to cope with. Many new android mobile devices are recognized as linux servers and not smart devices and I define new fingerprints rules to recognize it correctly. I also have setup Device Insight profiler but still need custom rules for many android devices to be recognized as smart devices. 

You can also schedule active profiling in Clearpass or Device Insight so it will scan devices and provide more accurate profile information.

Error you see just state that device has no required attributes defined in endpoint database yet.

Hope this helps, Gorazd

------------------------------
    Gorazd Kikelj

• 3.  RE: ClearPass-Missing Enpoint Profile In ClearPass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2022 06:26 AM
    whats your clearpass version?

Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.

• 4.  RE: ClearPass-Missing Enpoint Profile In ClearPass

Posted Nov 10, 2022 06:54 AM
    Hi Ariyap.

My CPPM version s currently 6.10.7. Vinshinkel what is your version?

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 5.  RE: ClearPass-Missing Enpoint Profile In ClearPass

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 10, 2022 11:04 AM
    Note that the first time a client connects, there is no profiling data by definition. As a best practice put clients that are not profiled into a role/VLAN that allows profiling (and it does not need to allow anything else). Then trigger a CoA once the profiling information has been received.

If you deny access, new clients will never be profiled.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.