Security

View Only
last person joined: 2 days ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

This thread has been viewed 41 times
  • 1.  Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 13 days ago

Looking into a problem reported by a user and as an aside I notice that CP (6.11.2) is reporting the incoming access device as the VIP of our mobility conductor instead of the IP of a director as the case used to be.
    e.g. now

But it used to be (this clip is from May 8th - we migrated to 8.10.0.11 on May 9th)

I'm struggling to spot where this info is pulled from.
    In CP all the mgmt, cluster VIP, and VRRP IP are listed in the controllers container.
    The conductor IPs and VIP are known to CP, but not added to the Controllers device group - I don't think this makes any difference to anything as we don't have a policy that check an incoming device group. Does CP even need to know about the Conductors, should I be able to remove them? I guess not at the moment because it appears as though requests are coming from the Conductor VIP.

In the MM, for each director there is no config for NAS IP, and never has been.

In the CLI there is no config parameter for ip radius nas-ip (not sure where this pops up in the GUI.

Both PSK and Guest registration (the two services we use CP for) appear to be happy, but it doesn't feel right. I'm pretty sure I should know from the access Request Details dialogue box which director the incoming device is using, or at the very least which cluster VIP is being used.

Any thoughts?

Thanks  

------------------------------
    Nathan

• 2.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

Default behavior when the NAS IP address hasn't been configured or otherwise overridden on the MD is to use the MCR IP address.  Been that way forever.  Is your 10.25.112.121 address a manually created VRRP IP or one of the cluster VIPs?  If that is a cluster VIP, looks like your cluster is either broken or down to a single node.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 3.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 13 days ago

Also check whether your cluster is L2 or L3 connected. Cluster VRRP IP is only used for L2 connected cluster-members. The controller IP is used for L3 connected cluster-members. 

Regards,

Waldemar
    ACCX # 1377, ACEP, ACX - Network Security
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 4.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 13 days ago

Controller IP is only used when running standalone or when manually configured as the NAS IP.  Managed devices will utilize the MCR address unless the device is active in a cluster that has a cluster VIP configured and operational.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 5.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 13 days ago

@Carson 
    In cluster environment, the cluster members use the VRRP IP for dot1x authentication so that COA from ClearPass works in case one of the cluster members goes down. Is one of the questions in the HPE6-A44 exam.

@Nathan
    Can you please verify if the mobility controllers are running in your cluster?
    If so, check in the mobility controller CLI whether member are L2 or L3 connected.

Use "show cl-cluster group-membership", here is a reference output

show lc-cluster group-membership

Cluster Enabled, Profile Name = "cluster-clu1"
    Redundancy Mode On
    Active Client Rebalance Threshold = 20%
    Standby Client Rebalance Threshold = 40%
    Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    Heartbeat Threshold = 900 msec
    AP Load Balancing: Enabled
    Active AP Rebalance Threshold = 20%
    Active AP Unbalance Threshold = 5%
    Active AP Rebalance AP Count = 50
    Active AP Rebalance Timer = 1 minutes
    Cluster Info Table
    ------------------
    Type IPv4 Address    Priority Connection-Type STATUS
    ---- --------------- -------- --------------- ------
    self   192.168.1.11      110             N/A CONNECTED (Leader)
    peer   192.168.1.12      100    L2-Connected CONNECTED (Member)

Regards,

Waldemar

• 6.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 13 days ago

Morning! 
    I was about to reply blind, without checking group-membership because I 'knew' my clusters were all L2 connected.

My clusters are no longer L2 connected, they're L3.

About the VRRP IPs, they're manually created so that CoA works for Guest auth role. For this particular cluster the cluster VIP is 10.25.112.123
    (I note there's an odd Group number in this list, has never appeared to be something that affects service though.)

The clusters appear to be up and OK as far as I can tell

The 10th May was the morning of the scheduled upgrade to version 8.10.0.11 - this particular cluster upgrade launched at 04:00 hrs.

Previously 'show vrrp' would show me a list of the virtual routers in a cluster, now it shows only 1

This all looks OK to me, config looks like I expect to find it. I'll keep reading in the mean time.
    Thanks. 
    N.

Nathan

• 7.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)
    Best Answer

Posted 13 days ago

Your cluster is L3 connected, it is suboptimal. Seamless rooming works in the L2 connected cluster. I can only recommend that you ensure that the cluster is L2 connected.

You cannot configure the connected mode, the cluster members determine it dynamically. Mobility controllers send broadcasts via each VLAN, if broadcasts do not arrive in a VLAN, L3 mode is used. This happens, for example, if there are VLANs in the controller that have not been tagged on the upstream switch. Check whether new VLANs have been created or VLAN tagging has been changed on the switch. You can also set VLAN to an exlude list, in which case no probes are sent via this VLAN. This is done at the controller level, you must not exlude the controller VLAN!

Display vlan-probes, use "show lc-cluster vlan-probe status" on the MCR CLI, here reference output

show lc-cluster vlan-probe status

Cluster VLAN Probe Status
    -------------------------
    Type IPv4 Address    REQ-SENT REQ-FAIL ACK-SENT ACK-FAIL REQ-RCVD ACK-RCVD VLAN_FAIL CONN-TYPE START/STOP
    ---- --------------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- -------- --------- --------- ----------
    peer   192.168.84.12      124        0      116        0      116      121         0   L2 Conn     0/   0

As soon as the cluster is L2 connected again, cluster VRRPs will also be activated.
    Each controller becomes the MASTER in one instance and the BACKUP in three others.

Good luck.

Regards,

Waldemar

• 8.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 12 days ago

Thanks Waldemar, vlan probe has helped me find the problem:

I recently cleaned up some VLANs we no longer need (2504 and 2508) and deleted them from the Managed Network Folder level.
    Gone from the list below:

And I thought in doing that those VLANs would be gone from the controllers, which was true from the controller VLAN interface level. 
    But those VLANs still show up on the Services > Cluster Profile config

The second I excluded those two VLANs (2504, 2508) from the Cluster Profile,  the clusters come back to L2 connected.

Sorting the exclusion list also helped me sort the cluster status of another cluster that inherits all the VLANs from above, but doesn't use any of them. it only uses its own 3 specific VLANs, but as the exclusion list showed all VLANs i was in the same situation there.

And just to confirm in CP, the MC is no longer referenced in the access requests, it's back to showing the individual controller's VRRP-IP

Thanks for the nudge.

Best regards.
    Nathan.

Nathan

• 9.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 12 days ago

Would seem I picked a lucky access request earlier, as I've just noticed that other requests are still coming in on the MC VIP.
    Turns out cluster 1 is reporting the VRRP IP for each director.
    Cluster 2 - only 1 director is reporting with its VRRP IP, the other 2 aren't.
    Cluster 3 - all 4 VRRP-IP are absent from the CP filter, so requests only coming in from MM VIP as NAS IP.

Have to drill into a request to look for the Src-IP in order to know which director the traffic came from, as the Dest-IP is the mgmt interface of the Conductor, and NAD-IP is the Conductor VIP.

Looking back into the cluster cfg to see what I've missed!

Nathan

• 10.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 12 days ago

I apologise to the community!
    The shame.

Nathan

• 11.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 12 days ago

But now it works the way you want it to?
    Cluster members are L2 connected, cluster VRRP IP are used for authentication?

Regards,

Waldemar

• 12.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 12 days ago

That's correct Waldemar. Now I can get back to investigating the Guest WiFi self-sponsorship problem that we seem to have. That'll end up being a post here too, I'm sure!

Nathan

• 13.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 12 days ago

Do remember to go ahead and set the NAS IP on the individual controllers so that the MCR address doesn't get used.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110

• 14.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

Posted 12 days ago

Thanks for shove in the right direction Carson, I just did that this morning after reading your post, using the VRRP-IP noted by Waldemar above.

e.g.

Find it odd that the cluster uses the VRRP-IP for the L2 connectivity, but the VLAN probe that tells you about L2 or L3 only uses the mgmt IP in the readout confirming connection type status. It's not gonna keep me awake at night.

Nathan

• 15.  RE: Clearpass reports access device IP (Port) and access device name as Mobility Conductor after moving to 8.10.0.11 (I think)

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 11 days ago

I wouldn't use the VRRP as the NAS IP, just use the system IP of the controller.

L2 vs L3 is determined by running a VLAN probe process, basically just a heartbeat frame at L2 on each and every VLAN that hasn't been specifically excluded from the process.  The controller expects to see a return from every controller in the cluster in order to mark the VLAN as usable.  If any single VLAN fails the check for any single controller, then the cluster should move to the L3 operating state.

With AOS 10 this is automated a bit more, with VLANs failing the probe automatically being marked as excluded, and more information returned in the show lc-cluster vlan-probe status command to show more than just one failing VLAN at a time.

Carson Hulcher, ACEX#110