View Only
last person joined: 4 days ago 

Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass slowing access to print que

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Clearpass slowing access to print que

Posted Aug 29, 2022 02:05 PM
    Hello all,

I rolled out Clearpass to our High School over the summer.  One of the issues being reported from a lab, is that when students go to print the printer takes about 30 seconds to "load" completely before they can do anything with it.  So just as a test I removed Clearpass settings from the switch port that one of the lab computers is connected to, and it seems to have resolved the issue on that one computer.  

I've allowed access to the printer server IP that the print que sits on, in the downloadable user role for students.  So I'm not sure what other adjustments I could make to speed up the loading of the que.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Clearpass slowing access to print que

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 30, 2022 04:03 AM
    ClearPass does not block/slow anything. You probably have something blocked in the role that is needed for printing or printer discovery, which may be mDNS or some broadcast protocol. What I would do is use something like Wireshark to run a packet capture on the computer that experiences these delays with your user role applied first, and you probably will see the computer to send out traffic (multiple times, no response) that is not permitted in your role. Then repeat the same without the role applied to verify that there are responses.

Then you can either add what is missing in the user-role, or see if change of settings on the computer, like manually defining the printer by IP/hostname, may solve the delays.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------