Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clearpass upgrade from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7 fail on CLABV dus to insufficient disk space on 160G disk

This thread has been viewed 15 times
  • 1.  Clearpass upgrade from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7 fail on CLABV dus to insufficient disk space on 160G disk

Posted Sep 15, 2022 11:07 AM
    Hi.

I'm trying to upgrade my Clearpass lab environment from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7. As per documentation, I use 160G disk + 30G disk. Upgrades up to 8.10.6 went without any problems. Upgrade to 8.10.7  fails due to insufficient space. This is lab system with almost no traffic. Anybody else observe such a behavior? I see no changes in CLABV HW requirements in latest release notes.

Best, Gorazd

------------------------------
    Gorazd Kikelj

• 2.  RE: Clearpass upgrade from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7 fail on CLABV dus to insufficient disk space on 160G disk

Posted Sep 15, 2022 11:12 AM
    Hi Gorazd

Are you using thin provisioned disk on your VM?
    I have seen similar issues if the ClearPass server have thin provisioned disk instead of thick provisioned. But only when doing an upgrade from one major release to another.

I haven't encountered this specific problem.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    ACCX #1335, ACMP, ACDP, ACNSP, ACEP
    Aranya AB

• 3.  RE: Clearpass upgrade from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7 fail on CLABV dus to insufficient disk space on 160G disk

Posted Sep 15, 2022 11:19 AM
    Hi Jonas.

Just checked and no, I use Tick provisioning :-(

I have no problems on VM with bigger disk.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj

• 4.  RE: Clearpass upgrade from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7 fail on CLABV dus to insufficient disk space on 160G disk

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 16, 2022 02:52 AM
    I have seen that on one of my lab appliances as well, which came originally from 6.9 (or even 6.8), and major version upgrades are not supported on the CLABV, and if you do multiple upgrades you may run into these issues. The 160 GB disk seems to be not large enough under all circumstances. You may be able to clean up old updates, logs, backups, but you will probably get into issues on the next upgrade. For more permanent lab deployments, the C1000V is better, and what appears to work as well is to deploy a larger disk during the initial installation, like 300 GB to avoid this. The purpose (as I see it) of this CLABV is that you install it in lab, and update to the latest patch release, which works fine.

If you disabled encryption during the initial installation, you may be successful booting from 'CD' with a partition manager that can increase the disk size, then move and resize the data partitions. That worked for me, but is fully unsupported of course. Create backup, spin new VM with larger disk, import backup may be the better solution.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Clearpass upgrade from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7 fail on CLABV dus to insufficient disk space on 160G disk

Posted Sep 16, 2022 03:58 AM
    Hi Herma.

Great info. Many thx. I morfe CLABV into C1000V and upgrade went as expected.
    .I use this lab setup to test upgrades before we go to the customer and do the real upgrade.

Best, Gorazd

Gorazd Kikelj