Security

View Only
last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Client MAC Vendor attribute Questions

This thread has been viewed 17 times
  • 1.  Client MAC Vendor attribute Questions

Posted 20 days ago

Hello Experts,

I have a question regarding Connection:Client-MAC-Vendor attribute that is used in rules. Assuming I have dhcp fingerprint and a device is profiled, is the attribute checked against the fingerprint sent by device everytime it is connecting or solely a lookup using OUI portion of the device MAC address agaist MAC Vendor in ClearPass database?

Thank you for your feedbacks,

Ario

• 2.  RE: Client MAC Vendor attribute Questions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

Fingerprint information is stored in the Endpoint database, and the MAC vendor is a 'static lookup' independent of the endpoint database.

The first time a client connects, there is no profiling information, but the MAC Vendor is available based on the OUI lookup.
    Once a client is connected, dhcp fingerprint can come in, and optionally you can trigger a reconnect/reauthentication in your service under Profiling, then when the authentication request arrives again the latest information for the fingerprint (Device Type, Device Name, etc) is available.

In general, I don't see MAC Vendor information being used too much as many vendors create different device types.

Not sure if this answers the question behind your question... if not please explain what you are looking for, for more accurate information.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 3.  RE: Client MAC Vendor attribute Questions

Posted 20 days ago

Hi Herman,

Thanks for replying quickly. 

Let's say I have an enforcement that looks like below 

what will be used to match against 'AMD'? will it just break down mac address of the device and look it up from ClearPass database? or does it need to use info from DHCP?

Thanks again.

• 4.  RE: Client MAC Vendor attribute Questions
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

This policy will just use the MAC address.

First part will check if the MAC address ends with, and First will check the MAC OUI (first 6 octets) and check if AMD is (part of) the name.

Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.

• 5.  RE: Client MAC Vendor attribute Questions

Posted 19 days ago

Hi Herman,

Thank you.