Security

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Forum to discuss Enterprise security using HPE Aruba Networking NAC solutions (ClearPass), Introspect, VIA, 360 Security Exchange, Extensions, and Policy Enforcement Firewall (PEF).
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

This thread has been viewed 83 times
  • 1.  Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted Apr 21, 2023 03:58 AM

Hi

I have a customer affected by CP‑49353 in all 6.11.x versions (found in Policy manager section under Known Issues for 6.11.0 in the Release Notes) and got the information from the TAC that it's a client issue. The Windows client sends 256 zeroes instead of the sha256 hash.

Have anyone else encountered this issue and are able to tell if the it's works good to disable RSA PSS algorithm on the Windows client, any other issues arising?
    I would also like to know is someone can explain why this is happening only when the clients connect to ClearPass 6.11.x and not earlier versions, like 6.10.x.

Is there a change in the lowest possible algorithm in 6.11 and this forces the client to negotiate a an algorithm that is poorly implemented on the Windows side?

The error message seen in Access Tracker is:

Error Code:

Error Category:

Authentication failure

Error Message:

TLS session error

Alerts for this Request 

RADIUS

EAP-TLS: fatal alert by server - decrypt_errorTLS Handshake failed in SSL_read with error:0407E086:rsa routines:RSA_verify_PKCS1_PSS_mgf1:last octet invalideap-tls: Error in establishing TLS session

------------------------------
    Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    MVP 2023, ACCX #1335, ACX-Network Security, Aruba SME, ACMP, ACDP , ACEP, ACSA
    Aranya AB
    If you find my answer useful, consider giving kudos and/or mark as solution

• 2.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2023 02:44 AM

OpenSSL version used in 6.10 and earlier did not have support for RSA PSS forcing ClearPass to negotiate a different cipher suite and hence this issue is not seen in older versions. 6.11 with its updated openSSL module negotiates RSA PSS but fails due to the implementation bug on Microsoft side. So far it seems like only devices with TPM 2.0 revision 1.16 has this issue. If the device supports TPM upgrade, that is one way to fix the issue. However TPM update is not an option in all cases. 

Work arounds are to disable RSA-PSS on windows client side or TPM update. If either these options doesn't work, TAC might be able to help disable TLS 1.2 from support shell.

• 3.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted Apr 24, 2023 03:16 AM

Thank you for the answer!

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    Aranya AB

• 4.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted Nov 02, 2023 03:55 AM

in case still have anyone is suffering this issue, I think this is the solution from CPPM side 

Disable RSA-PSS Signature Suite in EAP-TLS

Set this value to TRUE to assist Windows 10 devices using a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) authenticate when certificates installed in the TPM fail with a RSA_verify_PKCS1_PSS_mgf1:last octet invalid error. This issue is reported in ClearPass 6.11.x and later deployments on some Windows 10 devices using TPM, especially TPM 1.16 and lower. This issue does not impact pre 6.11.x ClearPass versions. The default value is FALSE.

• 5.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

MVP
    Posted Apr 25, 2023 07:10 AM

From my research, the issue is with TPM 2.0 firmware from the various hardware manufacturers. It is therefore not a Microsoft implementation issue, but a manufacturer-specific firmware issue. This is not listed in the Release Notes as a Behavior change. Many users reading the Release Notes do not comb through all the issues entries.

I realize this support allows enhancing FIPS support. Is Aruba planning an option to not negotiate RSA PSS in non-FPS systems for improved compatibility?  Most of the clients on our network are running Windows 10 and our testing has revealed these TLS compatibility issues. The majority of our clients are personally owned by students & staff so we have no control over firmware versions.

If we wish to maintain ClearPass support past the end of the year, we are forced to move to 6.11.x.  In my personal opinion, we need a more compatible solution that currently offered. We have been a ClearPass customer since the early days of Aruba's purchase of Avenda. This is the first time, in my memory, where we do not see a viable path to maintain product support. In fact, our proof of concept was before Aruba rebranded the product.

To reiterate, the above statements are based on my personal opinions and experiences with this product.
    Thank you again for highlight this issue that i missed in the Release Notes.

Bruce Osborne ACCP ACMP
    Liberty University

The views expressed here are my personal views and not those of my employer

• 6.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted Apr 25, 2023 11:19 AM

Hi Bruce

I agree with your statement that an option in the GUI to disable PSS RSA support would be good and I have filed a feature request in the Innovation zone: https://innovate.arubanetworks.com/ideas/SEC-I-1960
    Please vote on the idea if you find it useful

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    Aranya AB

• 7.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted Apr 25, 2023 11:04 AM

An update for anyone running into the same issue and need a quick guide how to solve the issue for the clients.
    We implemented a fix by removing the PSS RSA algorithm for the customer with clients with this issue by pushing a GPO removing the keys below.

The values that need to be removed are found under:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Cryptography\Configuration\Local\SSL\00010003
    Remove the following values:
    RSAE-PSS/SHA256
    RSAE-PSS/SHA384
    RSAE-PSS/SHA512

For clients that was already in a state where they could not authenticate we had to work around that by either allowing MAC authentication or in some cases manually disable the authentication on the switch port for some time to allow the client to retrieve the new settings in the GPO.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    Aranya AB

• 8.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted May 02, 2023 04:45 PM

Does it also appear with PEAP + EAP-TLS Method? We get all the time timeouts and don´t know why since 6.11

• 9.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted May 03, 2023 10:16 AM

Hi

I don't know if it's an issue in PEAP with EAP-TLS as inner method as well, but I guess so.
    Do you get any error message related to the timeouts?

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    Aranya AB

• 10.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted May 10, 2023 03:01 PM

Unfortunatelly no, Only "Timeouts" in Reauthentication

• 11.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted May 11, 2023 02:31 AM

Hi

Timeouts are often a result of a mismatch in the client configuration in relation to the ClearPass server certificate.
    The client settings must allow the client to accept the Radius certificate.

The issue described seems to be another issue maybe better for a separate thread, or a TAC case.

Best Regards
    Jonas Hammarbäck
    Aranya AB

• 12.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted Feb 05, 2024 05:11 AM

Good Morning,

We have seen this issue a couple of times with different customers on upgrade to 6.11.x, with all showing the last octet invalid logs, and the RSA-PSA setting has resolved these.

We are in the process of upgrading another customer to 6.11 (6.11.7) and in initial testing we found that we got constant timeouts with a test client (ClearPass logs the usual Error 9002 - Client did not complete EAP transaction).

If we pointed the test SSID back to the existing 6.10.x ClearPass it authenticated perfectly.

After testing extensively we have identified that changing just the RSA-PSS setting to disable clients then authenticate perfectly again (repeated enable/disable twice again to rule out any other factors).

Hope this helps others... we will continue to look at the client device as this is probably where the issue is originating from.

• 13.  RE: Clients affected by CP‑49353 in ClearPass 6.11 from Windows 10

Posted May 17, 2023 05:56 AM

hi Jonas,
    this is great information was really helpful after a 6.11 upgrade went as follows :-
    Migrated to 6.11.2 Windows clients authenticating ok, customer happy.
    Next day Windows authenticating ok but a different batch of Windows clients couldn't get authenticated and in Access tracker we were getting the error
    you've seen (EAP-TLS fatal error decrypt etc.) so we (through GPO) changed the cypher suite and it worked just fine.
    thanks again great post.