Network Management

View Only
last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Clients don't seem to switch between APs

This thread has been viewed 13 times
  • 1.  Clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted 21 days ago

Hi,

I'm trying to use a two IAP to extend my home WiFi but I can't to get my devices to switch between AP's.

I have a IAP-315-RW and a IAP-305 and placed them at both ends of my home. The 305 is in my house and the 315 is in my garage but my devices will only connect to the 305 even if I'm right next to the 315.

Even my phone with drop WiFi connection instead of connecting to the 315 in that area. It's like the APs won't allow my devices to roam.

Any ideas to fix the issue would be great

• 2.  RE: Clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted 21 days ago
    Hi,
    Do both APs work together in the VC?What if you turn off the 305 AP? Do the clients then connect to the 315?

Thomas

• 3.  RE: Clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted 21 days ago

Hi Thomas,

At the moment the 315 is the master controller. I can see both in the VC and both report working fine.

I have not tried turning off the 305 but I'll give it a try and report back but I'm guessing it they probably move.

When I first got both IAPs I did test the both individually after a factory reset and both worked and connected to fine using my home router.

The only other thing I forgot to mention on starting the thread was that both APs are running in low power mode as my mini POE switch can't be powerful enough but looking at documentation I believe this only disables the usb function.

• 4.  RE: Clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted 21 days ago

Hi
    If there is too little power (PoE), it may be that the LAN port is up but the WLAN port is down. 

I would test the following:
    both APs on
    broadcast an SSID with a zone 10 (for example)
    specify that only the AP 315 broadcasts zone 10.

broadcast an SSID with zone 1 & have both APs broadcast this zone

Now a client should see the SSID in Zone 10. It follows that AP 315 is running (WLAN-Port)
    But the client should also see the SSID in Zone 1.

You have to make sure that both APs have enough PoE power and radiate WLAN

• 5.  RE: Clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted 21 days ago

Thanks Thomas, I'll give this a try and report back.

The POE switch I'm using is a gep-0520 5 port gigabit

• 6.  RE: Clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted 21 days ago

Iv unplug the 305 but oddly I can barely get signal from the 315. It's interesting as there is only brease block and plasterboard in-between my master bedroom up stairs, my study below that and the garage.

Could low power mode cause this?

• 7.  RE: Clients don't seem to switch between APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted 20 days ago

I don't expect low power mode to cause this. Can you check what are the power levels reported for the AP (in web UI, Dashboard -> Access Points) for both radios (radio 0 = 5GHz, radio 1 = 2.4).

If you have an Android phone, you may use Aruba Utilities to check the actual signal strength, where I would also test right next to the AP. Values close to the AP of -40 or better (-35 is better than -40) are expected; if reported value there is much worse, you may have a damaged AP (which is rare but may happen). If the signal next to the AP is good, but behind a wall is bad, there may be something unexpected inside that wall, like a metal stud/grid.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted 16 days ago

I have been doing some more testing and what ever AP I put into my garage has the same affect. Like Herman mentioned, I be leave there must be foil insulation in my cavity wall that is between the garage and my house as unless I'm standing in or at an external wall of my garage, were its single skinned. I seem to be having no issues.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, ill probably have to fit another AP to fix this issue. so two in the house and one in the garage.