Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

comparing switches

This thread has been viewed 29 times
  • 1.  comparing switches

Posted Aug 10, 2022 01:48 PM
    Hi Everyone,

If I had to choose between Aruba 8320 48p, Aruba 5406R,?
    Thanks

• 2.  RE: comparing switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 11, 2022 05:41 AM
    Hi, you're comparing too different switch series even if the core role could be easily performed by both of them (with differences on the ways each one achieves resiliency, at various levels).
    Just consider for a moment the concept of (standalone) chassis resiliency achieveable by using two Management Modules working in a fully redundant operation...this is a supported configuration of Aruba 5400R zl2 switch series and it's not available on Aruba 8320 Switch series (there isn't such type of modularity on Aruba 8320 chassis...because that series was not engineered to provide a "cpu-failsafe" approach *that* way but it relies on using two Aruba 8320 in VSX cluster <- the same approach is possible deploying two Aruba 5400R zl2 as a VSF cluster and, indeed, in such configuration both Aruba 5400R zl2 will disable the dual MMs functionality on each chassis, if any).
    As you can see, first there are a lot of considerations (pro versus cons) to be carefully analyzed on the table...and also available budget is important too....not to forget the network topology and desired (or current) characteristics.
    For unskilled networking team use the KISS approach keeping both eyes wide open on items like redundancy/resiliency of operations and (day to day) management simplicity.

• 3.  RE: comparing switches

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 13, 2022 08:38 PM
    I believe  8360s or 8325s are more appropriate and gives you a lot of options for the required port density than 8320s.

------------------------------
    Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba.
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: comparing switches

MVP GURU
    Posted Aug 14, 2022 01:32 PM
    Hi! given that the only one requirement the OP wrote in his/her initial post ("which one is better to work in a very basic low tech environment") if I were you I personally will not focus (or push) the ArubaOS-CX OS high end lines only over the ArubaOS-Switch OS ones (in particular the Aruba 5400R zl2) and, for sure, I will not do that by start saying how better is the Aruba CX 8360 when it is compared to older Aruba 8320/8325 and only in terms of its "port density" [1] (also forgetting to recall that the latter use Merchant silicon and not the Aruba ASICs like the former).

That's to say that the comparison should be done against (a) the necessary learning curve to install/operate/manage/troubleshoot the Networking Infrastructure where such of a Core switch line is implemented [2], (b) feature requirements and (c) technical requirements (ports type/speed/density, HW/SW resiliency and so on...).

Without knowing (a), (b) and (c) is hard to tell what line fits the bill.

[1] Indeed, speaking about 10Gbps SFP+ ports density, the Aruba CX 8360 v1 was a loser - yes - if compared to the older Aruba 8320...Aruba released specifically the Aruba CX 8360 v2 to fill the void for a mode with 48 ports SFP+/SFP28 (10/25Gbps): I say that because we purchased the Aruba CX 8360 - the v1 series when the v2 series didn't existed at all yet - and the v1 had/have a maximum of 32 SFP+/SFP28 ports at best...where the Aruba 8320 owns a 48 SFP+ ports model since beginning...and, for the sake of honesty, I know the port comparison shouldn't be done because we are comparting 10G versus 10G/25G...but, for the same reason, the port density comparison is of no value IF the OP needs only 10G ports at best...indeed I'm comparing 10Gbps with 10Gbps and I don't care if the newer Aruba CX 8360 manages 25Gbps on the very same ports while the Aruba 8320 lacks of that feature. In other terms having 25G capable ports is a plus but if the OP doesn't require them is just a wasted plus and the comparison between Aruba 83x0 series should be done against the Port Speed really required by the user/customer.

[2] About the learning curve: if any <- if who operates the "very basic low tech environment" has previous knowledge with HP ProVision OS - HP ProCurve - it will translate to having the Knowledge to manage ArubaOS-Switch OS since the latter is a rebrand/development of the former and the CLI commands are the same...if no knowledge is there...the learning curves are quite different between the two OSes and the ArubaOS-Switch is IMHO more user-friendly.