Controllerless Networks

View Only
last person joined: yesterday 

Instant Mode - the controllerless Wi-Fi solution that's easy to set up, is loaded with security and smarts, and won't break your budget
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

This thread has been viewed 21 times
  • 1.  Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

Posted May 07, 2019 02:48 PM

Can 802.11k parameters be configured in Aruba Instant?

Specifically, I wish to apply the recommended values in Aruba's document "RF and Roaming Optimization for Aruba 802.11ac Networks":

Enable 11k with these additional changes:
    • Beacon report set to Active Channel Report.
    • Disable Quiet Information Element parameter from the Radio Resource Management profile

• 2.  RE: Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

Posted May 08, 2019 05:14 AM

You can find 802.11k settings in the SSID settings at the security tab.

• 3.  RE: Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

Posted May 08, 2019 08:03 AM

Thanks but I do not find any 802.11k settings there, only the box to enable or disable 802.11k.

Firmware is 8.3.0.6_69128 (latest according to GUI automatic check)

Hardware is IAP-315-RW

• 4.  RE: Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

Posted May 08, 2019 08:06 AM
    Did you click on Advanced at the bottom of the screen? What kind of authentication are you using?

I think out of the box it is disabled.

• 5.  RE: Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

Posted May 08, 2019 08:24 AM

I find no advanced options for the Security tab, only the General/ WLAN settings tab.

For both WPA-2 Enterprise and WPA-2 Personal, no options appear for 802.11k other than enable or disable.  802.11k is indeed disabled by default, enabling it does not reveal any further options.

Screenshots attached.

• 6.  RE: Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2019 09:02 AM

The page here:  https://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_83_WebHelp/Content/Instant_UG/WLAN_SSID_conf/Support%20for%20dot11r.htm?Highlight=802.11k shows what 802.11k parameters are supported when 802.11k is enabled on Aruba Instant.

• 7.  RE: Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

Posted May 08, 2019 09:19 AM

This page states that Quiet IE is supported, and makes no mention of measurement mode for beacon reports.

So in other words, these parameters cannot be configured in Instant? And therefore Aruba's recommendations cannot be implemented?

• 8.  RE: Configuring 802.11k parameters in InstantOS

Posted Mar 11, 2024 03:14 PM

I know this is a very old post but I just went through the same exercise and I think I figured out how to enable 802.11k with the suggested additional changes from the Aruba document.

I had to use the CLI in order to create a dot11k-profile and a bcn-rpt-req-profile.

Let's say there is a wireless network named Foo then the CLI commands are

configure
    bcn-rpt-req-profile bcn-rpt-req-foo
    measure-mode active-ch-rpt
    exit

dot11k-profile dot11k-foo
    dot11k-enable
    bcn-rpt-req-profile bcn-rpt-req-foo
    exit

wlan ssid-profile Foo
    okc
    dot11v
    dot11k
    dot11k-profile dot11k-foo
    exit

exit
    commit apply

After running these commands I can see in the output of show ap debug driver-config the 802.11k settings appear to be as desired for Measurement Mode for Beacon Reports and Advertise Quiet IE.

Downloaded Config for WIFI 0 VAP 0
    ----------------------------------
    Item                                                                    Value
    ----                                                                    -----
    Advertise 802.11k Capability                                            Enabled
    Measurement Mode for Beacon Reports                                     active-ch-rpt
    Channel for Beacon Requests in 5GHz band                                36
    Channel for Beacon Requests in 2.4GHz band                              1
    Channel for AP Channel Reports in 5GHz band                             36
    Channel for AP Channel Reports in 2.4GHz band                           1
    Time duration between consecutive Beacon Requests                       60 sec
    Time duration between consecutive Link Measurement Requests             60 sec
    Time duration between consecutive Transmit Stream Measurement Requests  90 sec
    Advertise Enabled Capabilities IE                                       Enabled
    Advertise Country IE                                                    Enabled
    Advertise Power Constraint IE                                           Enabled
    Advertise TPC Report IE                                                 Enabled
    Advertise QBSS Load IE                                                  Enabled
    Advertise BSS AAC IE                                                    Enabled
    Advertise Quiet IE                                                      Disabled
    Advertise 802.11r Capability                                            Disabled
    802.11r Mobility Domain ID                                              0
    ESSID                                                                   Foo

I do not see any way to change the value for Advertise Quiet IE, but the default appears to be the desired value of disabled.

My Aruba Instant cluster is running 8.10.0.9