Wired Intelligent Edge

View Only
last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Bring performance and reliability to your network with the HPE Aruba Networking Core, Aggregation, and Access layer switches. Discuss the latest features and functionality of your switching devices, and find ways to improve security across your network to bring together a mobile-first solution
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring OSPF on a pair of 6405s with VSX enabled

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Configuring OSPF on a pair of 6405s with VSX enabled

Posted 4 days ago

Hello community,

I'm working on an OSPF configuration for two 6405 switches with VSX enabled, they will be situated as Core switches in our network. After enabling vsx-sync for OSPF I have found that I cannot configure OSPF on the "secondary" VSX chassis interfaces without first configuring it on the "primary" VSX chassis. This situation is confusing because I though that VSX allowed the two chassis to work independently at Layer 3. That said, I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter or if I'm missing something please chime in. Thanks in advance!!

------------------------------
    [Matt]
    [Director of Infrastructure Services]

• 2.  RE: Configuring OSPF on a pair of 6405s with VSX enabled

Posted 4 days ago
    Hi Matt

You are right, two VSX nodes work independently on L3. However, the effect you have is how vsx-sync works. You configure on the primary and the secondary inherits the config. If you configure sync'ed parts on the secondary, this may get „lost". Depending on the situation, vsx-sync ospf is not always the best option. So, you may disable it if the two nodes have a very different OSPF config. Router-id, however, should never be sync'ed by vsx-sync. 

What version are you running? 

Regards, Thomas

• 3.  RE: Configuring OSPF on a pair of 6405s with VSX enabled

Posted 4 days ago

Thomas, I'm running 10.13.1010. 

I don't mind disabling vsx-sync for OSPF but I don't understand all the negative implications....if there are any. I am also using active-gateway on some SVIs, but I don't think OSPF vsx-sync will impact that configuration.

[Matt]

• 4.  RE: Configuring OSPF on a pair of 6405s with VSX enabled

Posted 4 days ago

Hi Matt

Thanks for your swift response.

vsx-sync ospf syncs purely OSPF related configuration such as route-maps, timers, area configuration, keys etc. It does not affect active-gateways as there is a separate vsy-sync statement for this.

So, try to enable it and start with the primary node. If disabled, you simply have to manually configure all OSPF related configurations twice. This can be tedious with route-maps or redistribution and
    have negative impacts on your network if forgotten.

IMHO, in a setup where the two VSX nodes are fully redundant in a sense that the network will also work fine with only one running, OSPF config typically does not differ much from the respective other device.
    The only thing which is for sure different is the router-id.

Regards,

Thomas

• 5.  RE: Configuring OSPF on a pair of 6405s with VSX enabled

Posted 3 days ago

Thomas,

That makes sense and I would probably keep vsx-sync enabled for OSPF if it weren't for the requirement to enable OSPF on the same interface for both the Primary chassis and the Secondary chassis. In our situation I have connections that only terminate on our Secondary chassis and thus I need to setup OSPF on those interfaces but not on the same interfaces of the Primary.

[Matt]