Wireless Access

View Only
last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Connect Clients to Closest Access Point

This thread has been viewed 38 times
  • 1.  Connect Clients to Closest Access Point

Posted Feb 06, 2023 09:52 AM
    Hello guys,

I have done quick search to find my question. but I couldn't find proper solution. I have a building with 13 AP-515. All the APs are manages by Aruba Central. some of my clients are trying to connect to the access point far away while another access point is mounted around 5 meter to the client.

I have tried to decrease tx-power to decrease overlap coverage. but still some clients trying to connect to far APs!!!

Please advise me how I can fix this issue.

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Connect Clients to Closest Access Point

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 07, 2023 04:32 AM
    Have you enabled ClientMatch? That should improve this as well.

Clients will make their own decision on which AP (and radio 2.4/5/6GHz) they will connect, and most clients will connect to the SSID with the 'best performance', which means that if you have a very strong 2.4GHz signal, they may tend to connect to 2.4 while you want them on 5GHz. But if you have wider channels on 5GHz, and the received signal is comparable, the client may chose the 5GHz. As a generic guidance, set the power-level on 2.4GHz at least 6dB lower than your 5GHz radio if you see that clients stick to 2.4GHz. Also, don't mix channel widths on the same band. Make sure all 2.4GHz channels are 20MHz, and for 5GHz it probably would be 40MHz if you have 13 APs and enough coverage to lower the power. Then there also clients that once connected, they will never move unless the signal becomes really poor, and then they will roam. That means, it would help if you can find out if it's specific clients, if those are stationary or moving. And sometimes it may be better for a client to connect to a distant AP if the signal is strong enough and there is less interference or less channel utilization. If connecting to a far away AP also results in low connection speed, then there is an issue you could address.

Have you seen this document about optimizing roaming? If enabling ClientMatch and the hints in this document don't improve, please work with your Aruba partner or Aruba support.

------------------------------
    Herman Robers
    ------------------------
    If you have urgent issues, always contact your Aruba partner, distributor, or Aruba TAC Support. Check https://www.arubanetworks.com/support-services/contact-support/ for how to contact Aruba TAC. Any opinions expressed here are solely my own and not necessarily that of Hewlett Packard Enterprise or Aruba Networks.

In case your problem is solved, please invest the time to post a follow-up with the information on how you solved it. Others can benefit from that.
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Connect Clients to Closest Access Point

Posted Feb 07, 2023 09:40 AM
    In many cases it's worth to optimize Wifi and workstation settings

Windows, I think regardless of version, is configured on WS side
    Preferred band: No preference -> try Prefer 5GHz band - this change does not prevent WS to use 2.4GHz if its only band available

Of course You can as well try to change Roaming Aggressiveness and Transmit Power settings if needed.
    Test with one device if You see any improvements in Your environment ans change values.

I'd give a try for Preferred band : Prefer 5GHz band

And Client Match.

If You are on 802.1x You may want to give a try to 802.11r, Fast Roaming.

And, always have latest available Wifi card drives in use

Sure these are my opinions only and what I've used in my laptop(s) and if applicable in customer environment

Some thoughts
    Br
    Juha-Pekka

• 4.  RE: Connect Clients to Closest Access Point

Posted Feb 09, 2023 11:43 AM

Hi, you probably already checked this but, can those clients actually see the AP that is closer? I mean, check that the channel the closer AP is on is supported by those clients if using the 5Ghz band,

I hope this helps